Finally the car looks better than when i dragged it home 18 months ago. Every surface of this car was covered in 3 paint colors, and up to 3/8" of bondo. It took 6 hours with a wire wheel just to clean the roof.
Things I learned about this car:
This "2002" is actually a 1600-2
It was originally off white, then orange, then metallic green
It must have been rear ended at some point
- The quarter panels at the front of the trunk was a train wreck
- The roof had some ripples and signs of being pulled, 4 screw holes (filled with bondo of course)
- The weather stripping was NEVER removed since 1969
- There was WAY more rust hiding than I even thought
-3 of the springs were lowering springs, 1 wasn't
Back to the progress:
-Body was reasonably worked. It's a track car, not a show car. There are some waves in the rear quarters on the box flares. I must not have installed them correctly.
- The roof still has waves. The sheetmetal was way out. I tried to keep filler to a minimum to prevent cracks from forming.
- The car was primed a few months back before I moved. I ended up sanding most of that away and priming and sanding again a few times.
-I painted the car with spray cans, I can hear the laughter now. This was a cheap paint job to get the project down the road. After i work some bugs out in the future it might get a real paint job, or the savings applied to more track days.
- Total including supplies ~$250 for the paint job.
- 1 light coat and 2 heavy coats were put down.
- 320i calipers were painted red to add a little bling.
- Rubberized rust encapsulate the underside
- Box in and paint the front cross member
- Paint the suspension parts
- MAKE IT A ROLLER AGAIN!!!!
If you can't tell I'm pretty excited to have the car looking ok and starting to look more and more like a real car.