Sign in to follow this  
  • entry
    1
  • comments
    0
  • views
    1,408

Entries in this blog

absorbantnut

The beginning

It's about time I started a thread for this car.

I picked up this '02 from Carlos at Condor Speed Shop down here in Florida in October 2014. My turbo e30 had just been totalled & I was searching for something new. This popped up and I found it tough to say no. The car is a 1973 malaga 2002 with unknown mileage. The m10 it came with was supposedly “built”; apparently it had cams & some head work.

The car when I bought it had been sitting for a few years. Somebody before Carlos had decided to paint the hood, roof, and trunk with house paint in a poor attempt to stall the spread of some rust. Hopefully I'll get around to refreshing the body later this year.

Next I pulled the old m10. It only took a couple of minutes to get out.

16495440205_8d1edb72e8.jpg

16495441835_b2c0364b8d.jpg

M10 removed:

15875292243_67a61966e9.jpg

16307999730_0f8cf171ea.jpg

16307999780_d4e2d5886b.jpg

16309174799_a056f38785.jpg

Next I cleaned the car with a pressure cleaner; I rolled it out of the shop & snapped a few pics.

15875291073_51da9e8619.jpg

16495440285_9a047a368c.jpg

16494436502_09e4bd3de3.jpg

Of course I had to test fit my old RS's!

16307997060_8de575da2a.jpg

16309173409_7a83bbdc3a.jpg

16469440066_c9d5dfd467.jpg

And then I decided to widen them a little......so to help them fit I ordered some turbo flares for the car.

After thinking my options over & perusing a few good threads, I decided to drop in my old turbo m20 motor. Before I dropped it in I'd do all new seals/gaskets and refresh it. SO I ordered my parts & once they were on their way I started prepping the motor/chassis.

The wiring harness was an easy enough task. After stripping the body harness of all the old loom I was able to trace the wires back a few feet to see their original color. Using the “6 does go into 2” DIY, I was able to locate the wires that I needed and wire them up to an e30 c101 body harness side plug. Then I ran a few new wires, like the fuel pump +12v wire, and labeled them all.

I ended up using Sin City mounts, which place the motor pretty high up. I had a very tough time getting these to work, and after exchanging many emails with the company I had apparently been sent the wrong mounts, which explained why they didn't work. I was getting tired of waiting around though, so I ended up modifying the subframe to make these work. I had to push the passenger subframe holes out about an inch and then modify the drivers side motor mount.

Said motor mounts:

16307999270_92bec6499b.jpg

15875289813_9b78619b25.jpg

16493699991_5151ba9a83.jpg

16469440186_0be7db2bbf.jpg

16309174319_a67b456f9e.jpg

16309511647_ac4363f089.jpg

I decided to mess around and run barrels as lips on my old RS's to see what it would look like on the car

15872887124_c4c2711239.jpg

Tons of to-do lists help me stay organized lol

16493700291_fe79f0a5f0.jpg

16494436212_c2ab207140.jpg

Here's the trans brace I made

15872886334_bbce530063.jpg

Picked up some decent seats. Still need to make brackets for them

16495440795_9dcec169cd.jpg

Drilled & tapped the compressor housing for a barbed nipple instead of the dumb press in plastic fitting it came with

16494436072_742c9cef35.jpg

The transmission tunnel widening made this swap nearly impossible. I realize that not a lot of people run a g260 transmission because it requires a "little bit" of extra hammering, but I didnt realize just how much that was until I got everything in place.

Pre BFH:

16469441726_98b5a11528.jpg

The beginning of the trans tunnel surgery

16309172149_8d73506f02.jpg

Here's a pic of how high the trans sits in the tunnel

16469442176_5f2ba7662d.jpg

Had to cut out a few rusty spots on the floor board & replace them with some good metal

16494436802_a2baf00434.jpg

16309511947_834dee165a.jpg

I ended up drilling the firewall to run the harness thru

16469442396_9611aef14b.jpg

Of course I'm gonna need some great bushings to run on this car to support the m20 and keep everything from falling apart........

16307712098_04abfddab1.jpg

I test fitted the turbo flares to motivate me to finish the swap lol

16309510877_5f82a400eb.jpg

16307712258_561ea6667c.jpg

16309172849_94b5856a58.jpg

16309174019_06b64826f8.jpg

Then comes the wheels...........

Transformed my old barrels into lips with the help of some friends at Spintech

16469441106_1f58baaa66.jpg

16307710728_f752f7b621.jpg

15875290503_ea8db4fd98.jpg

Rear:

16307710458_b1b92046f4.jpg

16309512017_e9529f4ee0.jpg

Front:

16307997490_cf39f91c29.jpg

While the motor wasn't in the car I figured it would be a good idea to refresh all the seals & rotating parts on the driveline. So I installed a new rear main seal, timing belt, SS brake/clutch lines, new center support bearing for the driveshaft, new guibo, a fresh, non cracked oil pan, I resealed the whole transmission(input, output shafts and the shifter selector rod seal), all new turbo manifold gaskets, fuel pressure regulator, and a variety of other things.

15872887314_6b5ecd470f.jpg

16469443246_1ba3f93abf.jpg

16307711318_528558d535.jpg

15872887224_1dc43d8100.jpg

Got the flywheel resurfaced while everything was apart & also did a new clutch/pressure plate

16307999090_97d597c247.jpg

15872885204_ea20d90381.jpg

16494436972_defa33cc79.jpg

Test fitted the motor again for the 20th time

15872886894_4a97c75a79.jpg

I'll post the rest of the updates tomorrow

Sign in to follow this