TESORO’s trunk is nice and tidy in preparation for the Bay Area 02 swap and show in Brisbane, CA on May 4th. I am ecstatic over this brilliant fuel filler design by Kooglewerks ! No more contorting myself in fear of gas burping up onto the paint! 😉
The wiring is sorted with everything removed that I don't need (I hope.) I need to tie in all the new components before wrapping it up. Headliner in, not perfect but I am happy with it. I will start putting in the our 2002 Underground parts soon.
It seems like every project meets some sort of random parts wall at some point. That is to say, you end up waiting for ages for parts to arrive, things are difficult to source, or you end up with the wrong parts entirely. That has been the case for the last few weeks for me. I’ll try to tackle things in order and get everyone up to speed.
So you may remember last year I bought a beefier version of the radiator I currently had in the car. This was in an effort to keep the poor 2002 a little c
Major milestones achieved. 1. While I’ve only seen it in side a building the paint is fantastic! Derby is grey once more. 2. Head built.
Next big big milestone is the bottom half of the engine!
Stay tuned. More pics to follow once it’s back home.
Another 2002 came my way that I could not say no too! Its a 1974 2002tii. Definitely has its issues including rust, however there is a lot going for it as well. bilstien shocks, H&R springs, poly bushings, five speed and strut braces are a plus. Some of you might have followed my M42 2002 Build a few years back. This car is getting different treatment. I have only a limited amount of time to get it on the road and am embracing the “patina” look so to speak. Anyway, here is a short video of m
One of the many projects that I’ve been dreading on this car is replacing the trunk floor. Not just the part aft of the wheel wells, I mean the entire trunk floor. When I bought the car the gas tank was about the only thing holding the center of the trunk floor up. The brace down the center of the floor was no longer attached to the floor. There was no bottom to the spare tire well and the quarter panels were the only things keeping the tail panel attached to the car. I’d cut the main portion of
First of all, thanks to all of those who have supported me through this project. It has been fun and challenging, but not being able to leave well enough alone, I have embarked on incorporating the timing function of the Sniper EFI into my build. What am I hoping to achieve by this... no clue.. if I were forced to give a reason... I guess I would say because it was there, and life is too short to ponder things that satisfy your curiosity.
So after consulting a lot of people, an
Vern is back at VSR after 2 months in storage, he started right up. Re-stuffed seats look great. Bumpers are back from the shop and look like mirrors. Vent window frames have been polished and ceramic coated by Speedway. Re-assembly starts in earnest Monday April first. Scheduled to pick him up April 19.
Got the sunroof back in with a bit of trial and error. Fit is ok just a slight passenger side height difference.
Also installed heater box and dash. Mocked in the gauge cluster to fill the hole. It will be removed before permanent installation.
Added H4's w/city lights and a relay/fuse harness. Will install the driving light brackets when they arrive. Thanks, Pierre.
Took this down to Buttonwillow so Ken Blasko could install and race today. My daughter went with and we really enjoyed looking over the cars and talking to everyone. The Salmon burgers weren't bad either. We got there at 11:30 or so and Ken quickly prepped it and got it installed prior to his heat at 3:00.
Ken's starting position was next to last but he quickly made his way thru the pack and finished 4th. I guess the gearbox held up.
I came across an opportunity to purchase a larger 3D printer at a significant discount. Went for it.
The size of the new printer allows me to attempt modeling the grille with its various surfaces, planes and splines.
45 hours and 58 minutes of printing.
Side by side.
I finally have real progress photos to share. First I start with more parts collecting however, as that seems to be tradition for this build thread. I picked up AKG Motorsport's shifter and DSSR. Ultimately this may seem like an unnecessary step at this stage, but we're going to be adding some captive nuts under the shifter opening so the shifter can easily be removed from the cabin of the car. As a result, I had to order it in so my fabricator could work on that part. I have to say, this is a s
With spring approaching and with just a few trim bits left to be completed, I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more of the top than the bottom. But here are some pics before it comes down off the lift for spring.
This happened over the course of a bunch of months. It's all the metalwork to the floor pans and trunk area.
First, we removed all the sound deadening from the floors and then the cutting began. The car got three floor pans replaced with new metal, one patch we had to fabricate for the rear seat shelf, then patches on the front inner wings, and finally a few outer rocker panel patches — the inners were solid, rust treated, painted and then sealed up.
The undercoating was
The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2763648 was manufactured on March 20th, 1973 and delivered on March 23rd, 1973 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Verona, paint code 024.
Took off the front fenders to see what was underneath the seemingly solid fenders.
After burning off the old lead that smooths out the upper seam, we removed all the fender bolts holding everything on. A bit of wiggling with a screwdriver to break the old body glue and the fenders were free.
We discovered the blinker buckets were largely gone - and "remade" during a previous restoration of the car - a scotchbrite pad was shoved into the space for body filler to grip to as