• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my INSANE m42 build :D

kevins08

well i've had a version of this planned before i even know what an m42 was and had my car for a week, when i asked on bimmerforums what it would take to put a z3 4cyl motor into a 2002 (who knew three years later id be doing a crazier version of that exact thing). i was 17 and a complete 2002 newbie (had a fiero halfway 4.3 vortech swapped, and 2 half done 1961 chevy trucks). i fell in love with the 02 on a vacation to virginia and saw a beautiful polaris white 02 at my uncles neighbors. i purchased a 2002 by the end of the summer that looked like this:

DSC00045.jpg

completely by mistake i had bought a car with a 38/38 weber, ansa exhaust, and bilstein hd's already installed so i drove the 2002 for about a year while i gathered parts to change the look of the car to what i thought i wanted. rust removal and bodywork later i got this:

bmw2.jpg

after tint

IMG_2613.jpg

i like the look enough, but after the m42 is done i want a sleeper :D and it will return similar to its former glory as this:

ps2002.jpg

now about that m42.....

it will have 8.5:1 (85mm bore) pistons, all arp hardware, mls headgasket, 666 fabrication manifold, holset HY35 turbo (20psi :D), megasquirt courtesy of dynotech motorsports, personally designed symmetrical intake, 850cc injectors, tial 44mm wastegate, tial 50mm BOV, mishumoto IC, m20 flywheel, etc etc. hoping conservativly for 300rwhp. the car will be completely caged but retain 90% of the original interior as this will be a daily driver all summer long :D i've also got some plans for a big rearend upgrade that someone else is working on, but im not sure how much he wants known right now.

im about halfway into the build as far as parts go and i just got serious about it a month ago so the motor should be in the car and driving by spring. the body wont look how i want quite yet but mechanically it'll be going.

and now for the build.....

tearing the m42 out of the donor (1994 bmw 318is). got the car for $700, sold the wheels for 200, and a couple other msc items for another 100, and im still sittin on some more good parts and the shell to be scrapped, so i got the driveline pretty cheap.

31811.jpg

3189.jpg

3181.jpg

3182.jpg

3187.jpg

3188.jpg

shop helper

3186.jpg

tearing up the carpet for a new esty set reaveals some bad news!

tar.jpg

tar4.jpg

rust2.jpg

rust.jpg

teardown of the motor:

engine2.jpg

engine3.jpg

engine5.jpg

spiffied up the valve cover:

finish.jpg

and thats where im sittin. the motor is at the machine shop being bored and honed. it should be back in the next couple days and i have everything waitin here to build the motor up and start adding some turbo goodies :D.

in the meantime i've installed a powdercoated rear subframe with IE stage two's and new bilstein HD's. this will be temporary as coilovers with be soon after the swap :D

Hey just caught your thread.... You are planning to use the e30 oil pan right?

My touring is done and off the lift so I can get the 2002 up there and get some pictures of my mounts tomorrow.

This winter I am planning on pulling my mounts and making some copies to sell if anyone is interested. Maybe sooner than later...

I am also working on adding a supercharger to my m42....I have the urge for more power. But actually the m42 is pretty damn fun as is. I have been driving the 02 every day for almost 2 months without a hiccup.

1985 e28 w/LS1/t56 and a bit more...

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

-Contact me for m42 mounts or e28 ls1 mounts-

www.classicdaily.net

Hey just caught your thread.... You are planning to use the e30 oil pan right?

My touring is done and off the lift so I can get the 2002 up there and get some pictures of my mounts tomorrow.

This winter I am planning on pulling my mounts and making some copies to sell if anyone is interested. Maybe sooner than later...

I am also working on adding a supercharger to my m42....I have the urge for more power. But actually the m42 is pretty damn fun as is. I have been driving the 02 every day for almost 2 months without a hiccup.

yeah, i need to find me an e30 318is in the junkyard but its proving a bit difficult!

that would be great if you could do that! if i cant handle them myslef ill definately hit you up for a set!

what route did you decide to go for the superrcharger?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I find your project really interesting. I was wondering how much body work do you have to do to fit the M42 engine in the 02. Let me know I find it very interesting.

Good luck

I have 71 02 ( I am thinking of doing the E30 M3 to it) but that is proving to be hard engine to find. I may consider the route you are going if it is does fit without too much cutting of the body.

let me know

thanks

Sy

I find your project really interesting. I was wondering how much body work do you have to do to fit the M42 engine in the 02. Let me know I find it very interesting.

Good luck

I have 71 02 ( I am thinking of doing the E30 M3 to it) but that is proving to be hard engine to find. I may consider the route you are going if it is does fit without too much cutting of the body.

let me know

thanks

Sy

i shouldn;t have to cut the body at all. in the other m42 builds into 02's, no cutting was needed. ill have to hammer out the trans tunnel but that should be about it. i dont foresee the turbo adding any additional cutting the other didnt do.

the original goal here was to make more power than an s14 for less $$$ so i dont see why it wouldnt work in your situation either. hopefully ill have this done in time for V@V and you and other will have a chance to see it in person. :D