• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

She's coming back to me !!!

deschodt

Bought her 8 years ago... The day before my son was born actually (you pull that off and call me, my wife drove it home, 9 months pregnant)! 

Did a mild resto on the rust (posted on this forum)... Did a 5 speed, LSD, trop radiator, EFI conversion... Sweet car but it always kinda looked like $%#% around the egdes, bad repaint...

So when I moved from FL to CA, I left her behind at the shop... Given what I'm paying for storage now, it was restored for free !!!  New paint, new headliner, not a flake of rust anymore... All for around $5000. Don't ask where, those guys are good but refuse to do this again, takes too long and not enough profit in it ;-) 

She's in a truck now, headed to me ! I will reinstall the trim and Blunt's euro bumper corners...

Talking of which I messed up not realizing the shorter euro corners are trim free. So now I need to either mix and match my rear bumper center piece (holes and trim and bumperettes) with those, or find a clean chromed center section....

So excited to get her back... and drive it back to back with my Alfa GTV ! 

post-34644-0-09192800-1455218769_thumb.j

post-34644-0-18665100-1455218774_thumb.j

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

How much was the Intercity trailer ride from FL to CA?

Too much. $2300. But Reliable and others were $2600. And I did not want to go below that level of service. It's fresh off the paint booth so it had to be enclosed...  I think it's a ripoff considering I paid <$2000 3y ago when gas was twice as expensive as now !

Then again if you factor in a one way plane ticket, 4 hotel nights, food, gas, 4 days off work, and the inevitable breakdowns of a car that sat for 22 months in a shop, it starts to feel like a great deal ! Just a matter of perspective ! 

The craziest part ? The car sat 22 months and was moved under power maybe twice. The battery showed 80% charged still when they finally decided to put it on the charger before loading it ! And the fuel is apparently still burning !!!  It started right up ! 

Use "Stabil" guys, it works, apparently !!! I'm still flushing it out when it gets home.....

Can anyone comment on the bumper issue ?  (I've got 2 clean euro bumper corners, and a full US trimmed bumper). I had them fill the US bumper holes on the sides of the car so there is no going back to US length ! 

What's best ? Locating a center euro bumper with no holes ? Reusing the US bumper center with euro corners and trim only in the middle between bumperettes ? Can you fill the trim holes and get it rechromed ? Not sure what's most cost effective / or unobtainium ! 

The bumper issue: decide on which look you like best. You can always redrill the quarter panel to accommodate the wrap-around style ends, or you could have the center section holes welded and have rechromed (for the shorty bumper ends).  For the wrap-around style, many use the euro rubber trim that deletes the bumperettes (has no hole for mounting bolt).

Edited by nbcbird

Too much. $2300. But Reliable and others were $2600. And I did not want to go below that level of service. It's fresh off the paint booth so it had to be enclosed...  I think it's a ripoff considering I paid <$2000 3y ago when gas was twice as expensive as now !

The trucking industry has changed a lot over the past 3 years!  There have been huge changes in government regulations that have resulted in large price increases and fewer drivers.  Mandatory electronic logging and the time on road has been cracked down on - If a truck shows up to my business and we are backed up loading other trucks, the time they wait while sitting and loading is now counted against their time behind the wheel.  It now takes longer to get from point A to point B.  Young drivers aren't entering into the profession and the older ones are sick of the new $#!* regulations so they are quitting.  It's estimated the driver shortage is now 80,000 and headed to 145,000 by 2020.  

Edited by tomphot

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

• 2 weeks later...

Update: So she's home!!! Pretty quick X-country shipping ! Started right up, which still amazes me after 2 years and 2y old gas (thank you Stabil). 

post-34644-0-99282900-1456417636_thumb.j

I caught a whiff of "burned" smell but it seems to be coming from the exhaust so it's probably burning residue of 2 years of neglect...  Not sure how we made it home, uphill, with the gas gauge reading negative gas ;-) 

No rear bumper, trim, door seals, sunvisors, dome light, door panel, dust everywhere... New headliner but I'm gonna have to guess where the holes were now ;-) 

post-34644-0-55640800-1456417642_thumb.j

Decent "driver" paint job. The car is straight now, i spotted a couple small flaws in the paint but for the money, no complaints. Not a spec of rust left on the car...

post-34644-0-16283900-1456417648_thumb.j

Getting some charge and vacuuming/sponging the dust !  oil change tonight...

post-34644-0-47524600-1456417653_thumb.j

Good time to clean up the door panels.... They did only one door seal, not very well. I am dreading that part a little...

post-34644-0-94071600-1456417657_thumb.j

All sorts of trim and stuff they should have put back on the car... Since I lost patience and they were not making progress anymore, I have to do it... Not worried about the side trim, but I did not do the rain gutter trim nor pulled the trunk "torsion bar/springs", so that should be fun to figure out! (not). I'm gonna be trolling the FAQ for pictures of everything....

Amusingly I forgot about the cheap baby seat in there, no way the kid still fits 2 yrs later ;-)

post-34644-0-40508300-1456417661_thumb.j

And more junk in the trunk.... gotta figure out the rear bumper deal (mish mash US, Euro corners, bumperettes or not, brackets - they pulled that off)

post-34644-0-66024200-1456417666_thumb.j

Lastly I'll have to resolve the wheel situation - they were supposed to fit, offset wise, they fit on plenty of cars on the forum. But have always rubbed on mine... So the car sits too high ! Now i can investigate if it's related to the rear disc brakes upgrade or what....

post-34644-0-05852800-1456417672_thumb.j

I foresee several busy week ends ;-)

Edited by deschodt

Congratulations on getting it back and running again. You do have a lot of stuff to do and having a child(children) does not make it any easier. I don't mean that in a bad way. I have an 8 and 10 year old and love it! But finding time to "play" with the car is sometimes difficult, especially when you are in business for yourself. My idea is to do the work on Fri and Sat after the kids go to bed. This is the 1st weekend I am going to try that idea.... will let you know how it goes..  :)

Best wishes in getting it finished!

Philip

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

Congrats, and you have a fine pair in your garage!

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Looks great!  You couldn't convince them to drop the Testarossa off at your place at the same time?  :ph34r:

Ed

Honestly of all semi modern Ferraris, the Testarossa is the last one Id' have. Actually my 2002 was pickup up early while the truck was on its way to Miami - the TR's destination (surprise! shocking huh?), never made the trip back west. 

A yellow Testarossa going to Miami...shocking. Another Sonny-wannabe.

56769ad290b009bc7d847640fc2af6c2.jpg

... I was always partial to the black Daytona he originally drove... 'till they blew it up with a RPG... :)

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool