• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpina race engine info

djminkin

Was wondering if anyone was familiar with the types of engines Alpina installed in their early race cars. Specifically the colorado orange dual weber ti race cars of 69-71.  I have heard there were some with a 165hp motor and some with more aggressive cam and other tweaks that could produce up to 190.  Thanks in advance. 

Sorry, I didn't get back to your PM this weekend, I was working on my car, hanging out with my wife, painting windows, etc.,

A 165bhp motor would likely be an AlpinA A3 spec motor (which is a high po street motor).....and would go something like this.  45mm Webers, port matched manifolds, 300 degree cam, 46mm intake, 39mm exhaust valves, shortened valve guides, hemispherical combustion chambers to match a set of hemispherical pistons (Mahle or KS) rated at 10:1 or possibly 10.5:1 CR.  Standard steel conrods that were lightened up.....and that is about it.  I had one of these, AlpinA referred to it as a 'Rallyemotor'.  I did sell it to a dude in Japan for $7k (unassembled) which was pretty good money back in 1999.

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/4123-ALPINA-Rallyemotor

Carburetted AlpinA 'race' motors allegedly did make between 190-200bhp, they had all that above - with the addition of 1mm larger intake valves (47mm), ran on full race 324 camshafts and ran at 11:1 -11.5:1 CR hemi pistons....Injected motors with slide throttle were around 220-230bhp I want to say with dry sump lubrication.

I could be wrong, but I have never heard of AlpinA running a werks rallye car.  I know that they were rallied ( in their infamous orange black colors and some with the pig cheeks), I believe that those cars were often prepared by AlpinA and sold to privateers.  They were really busy in those years running their Coupe's and o2's in road race events along with growing the company, I haven't spent much time studying the historic rallye world so I say this with an asterisk.....

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com

Sorry, I didn't get back to your PM this weekend, I was working on my car, hanging out with my wife, painting windows, etc.,

A 165bhp motor would likely be an AlpinA A3 spec motor (which is a high po street motor).....and would go something like this.  45mm Webers, port matched manifolds, 300 degree cam, 46mm intake, 39mm exhaust valves, shortened valve guides, hemispherical combustion chambers to match a set of hemispherical pistons (Mahle or KS) rated at 10:1 or possibly 10.5:1 CR.  Standard steel conrods that were lightened up.....and that is about it.  I had one of these, AlpinA referred to it as a 'Rallyemotor'.  I did sell it to a dude in Japan for $7k (unassembled) which was pretty good money back in 1999.

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/4123-ALPINA-Rallyemotor

Carburetted AlpinA 'race' motors allegedly did make between 190-200bhp, they had all that above - with the addition of 1mm larger intake valves (47mm), ran on full race 324 camshafts and ran at 11:1 -11.5:1 CR hemi pistons....Injected motors with slide throttle were around 220-230bhp I want to say with dry sump lubrication.

I could be wrong, but I have never heard of AlpinA running a werks rallye car.  I know that they were rallied ( in their infamous orange black colors and some with the pig cheeks), I believe that those cars were often prepared by AlpinA and sold to privateers.  They were really busy in those years running their Coupe's and o2's in road race events along with growing the company, I haven't spent much time studying the historic rallye world so I say this with an asterisk.....

Do you happen to have any literature that shows the race motor that made the 190hp was available in 69? This owner doesnt believe it was but I think the UK car that was found a while back was in fact a 68, but this car had headers it looked like in the photos so its unclear if they modified the A3 motor for higher output??

Edited by djminkin

Do you happen to have any literature that shows the race motor that made the 190hp was available in 69? This owner doesnt believe it was but I think the UK car that was found a while back was in fact a 68, but this car had headers it looked like in the photos so its unclear if they modified the A3 motor for higher output??

I probably do somewhere in my stuff, and if I come across it I will post it or send it to you.  The factory  (motorsport) cars in '68 were using 324 cams and 45 Webers, it stands to reason that Alpina were using the same or similar, I don't think that 190bhp is a stretch.  You should tell that "owner" to do a little research on his own and he could probably figure it out all by himself.....but here you can send this to him if you wish, this is an article from 1969 I believe and they (AlpinA) were suggesting 200bhp for their race motor (170bhp for the 1.6)

post-38814-0-76043400-1441215483_thumb.j

post-38814-0-64023200-1441215504_thumb.j

It is one of the nearly 1000 posts on my blog, I'll save you the effort of finding it.  Good Luck

I probably do somewhere in my stuff, and if I come across it I will post it or send it to you.  The factory  (motorsport) cars in '68 were using 324 cams and 45 Webers, it stands to reason that Alpina were using the same or similar, I don't think that 190bhp is a stretch.  You should tell that "owner" to do a little research on his own and he could probably figure it out all by himself.....but here you can send this to him if you wish, this is an article from 1969 I believe and they (AlpinA) were suggesting 200bhp for their race motor (170bhp for the 1.6)

attachicon.gifAlpina_16002002TI_test_01-02.jpg

attachicon.gifAlpina_16002002TI_test_03.jpg

It is one of the nearly 1000 posts on my blog, I'll save you the effort of finding it.  Good Luck

Wow, great article Mark!