• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-Wiring my 70 basket case in Aptos

Just got my car back after about 3 years... It's an incredibly long and involved sob story that I will spare everyone... The short version is that the wiring in my 2002 has always been suspect and after three years of modifying and daily driving it I decided to do the overhaul It deserved. During that time the wiring system has been hacked at and dismembered by a former mechanic that I was foolish and naive enough to trust... Now I'm stuck with a great big mess... I'm now living in Aptos and I need to know if there's a reputable shop/mechanic that is willing and able to take on a project... Without seeing the mess I know it's tough but would anyone venture to estimate what a job like this should run?

post-38103-0-76081600-1438026397_thumb.jpost-38103-0-89312000-1438026738_thumb.jpost-38103-0-95547600-1438026902_thumb.jpost-38103-0-69297100-1438027095_thumb.j

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!

oh lord.....I feel for ya.

that being said,  I had an electrical glitch in my e30 that caused sporadic stalls and no starts....I found a retired bmw tech/guru that kept the car for days......he spent hrs on it....

try to nail down a flat rate fee for the job that satisfies both you and the tech.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. It's so so sad... The motor and carbs have less than 10,000 miles on them... Motor was built at Dinan believe it or not... I did all the work myself pretty much but when it comes to wiring I'm completely lost... Gotta find a way to get it wired and get it going down the road again... I can't even sell it as is...

Coupla thoughts...

1.  Find someone the FAQ with a '69 or 70 parts car with a still intact wiring harness, and carefully remove it.  Then going by the factory wiring diagram, reconnect everything.  It's not really that difficult with a good harness and a diagram--just takes time.  

2.  Using a factory wiring diagram, determine what wires are still usable in your existing harness, and connect 'em up.  Then unravel that rats nest of wiring in your picture and start matching up color coded wires with where they go according to the diagram.  Long, slow process but you'll eventually get it.

3.  Go to Hemmings Motor News and check out some of the outfits that offer replacement wiring harnesses (Narragansett Wiring Co is one) and see if someone offers one for a 2002.  That would be the easiest way if you can't find a parts car with a good harness.

4.  Buy a bunch of different color coded wire, and using the factory diagram, make your own harness.  

Bet you'll know a lot about automotive wiring by the time you finish!

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks Mike... I know I could do it if I had time but life has changed for me and I don't have the time to dedicate to it any more. i loved the project up until this huge problem and now I just don't have the stomach to do it on my own... I'm a wrench turner you know what I mean? I can pull the tranny, and do a rear disc break conversion in a few hours but this wiring stuff is over my head and if I leave it up to myself I know it'll never get done... I hope people can relate to that. Everybody has a project that just never got done. This is my last attempt to finish what I started. Just need to find some help... Thanks again.

I can tell you a bit more about it for those who are curious.

Engine:

Brother in law used to work for dinan in mountain view and had a line on a motor that had been sitting in his former parts managers garage for a few years. Apparently the owner of the motor had it built up from the ground up and never came with the final check. So the parts manager bought it for the final amount due. I bought it from him (still unused) and know a bit about it just from pulling the head off to re seal everything. The motor has oversized pistons and the head had double valve springs. Oil pump was brand new too. All parts were shiny and new. I was told that it was a had been blue printed. I put a brand new schrick 292 cam in as well. (Not an Ireland knockoff) I added a set of brand new weber dcoe 45's from pierce manifolds. IE radiator, silicone hoses, and a hardey and beck header.

Breaks:

tii break booster

Tii master cylinder.

Stainless steal break lines

Big break kit in the front (Volvo)

Disc breaks in the back (VW)

Suspension Front:

It has ground control coilovers with bilstein sport inserts (rabbit inserts to go with the shortened struts) eiboch springs.

Adjustable kmac camber plates.

Suspension Rear: billy sports, IE stage 2 lowering springs.

All rubber bushings were replaced with new urethane including the rear differential carrier mounts.

Transmission and Diff:

5 speed tranny conversion done with a brand new E30 M3 pressure plate and tii clutch disc.

JBR Aluminum flywheel added as well

LSD installed

Interior looks rough but in reality it's not bad. It's got jaguar front seats and a 6 series rear seat conversion. Carpet is rough now but was a etsy kit from 6 years ago. Door cards need work but they do have the aardvark plywood kits on them.

Exterior is relatively strait. No crashes or bondo that I know of. Only rust that is more than surface is on the passenger side front fender in the common place at the bottom. Rockers, shock towers, tire well, and all the important areas are not rusty.

There's a thousand other little things that I'm sure I missed but that should help give you an idea of what I mean... It's not a $1000-$3000 parts car... It's pretty well sorted... Just needs someone who can sort out the wiring and help her on her way...

Rocco