• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing tii gas mileage

Gordon

I filled up the tank in Winston Salem from this weekend's Vintage festivities. Drove 280 miles home and still have quarter of a tank of gas, that's about 31 miles/gallon. On the way home included some high speed cruising on I-85 then I took some back roads home (US-158) after leaving the interstate. I wanted to avoid Emporia VA, the speed trap capital of VA.  Great weekend and look forward to next years vintage.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

M10s are not known for great mileage. I don't know too much about the tii, not having owned one, but I understand that it has a mechanical fuel injection which delivers fuel to the piston chambers on every stroke, just like a carburetor (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). It's good for response and power, but not exactly the most economical.

The only way you will get an accurate reading for mileage is if you put in a given amount of fuel and run it completely dry, then compare it to your odometer. A visual check of the gauge is not very accurate, especially the fuel gauge in the 02.

The best I've gotten on the highway is about 26mpg with a single barrel Solex, 5 speed overdrive and 4.10 rear diff. Perhaps I would get better results with a 3.64 diff. City mpg is around 21-22mpg.

Slavs

The odometers might not be correct if your speedo is off though. In my automatic I filled my tank completely up one day and drove to work. 75 miles round trip...i know it sucks. 

Got back to the gas station that day and filled it up to the top again. Divided the 75 miles by the gallons i put in and got 21.97mpg. This was all freeway on a 3 speed auto. 

I don't see why a 5 speed, lsd, and fuel injection couldn't break 30mpg on freeway. I think throttle control would play into it

tii's are more efficient than the carby's....30+ is what jgerock seems to get with his tii on highway.

new fuel injection is even better...the one time i drove my M2 to vintage ( a long enough trip to get decent numbers)  it got 32...twice the HP and better economy than a tii.

of course in normal driving mode....on a track....the car gets 9mpg.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

I don't worry about carbs vs. fuel injection vs, jet sizes and all that nonsense. I have put 28" tall tires on the back of my Tii, and use 24" on the front. Getting great mileage, of course, because the car always thinks it's going downhill.  

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

In new york city mixed driving with some short highway, I get about 20mpg. lots of stop and go. That is with a 32/36

I don't see a reason why I can't break 30mpg with an extra gear and a properly tuned EFI. little things like fuel cut on deceleration make a significant reduction in fuel consumption. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

I've not checked the gas mileage since installing the 3.91 LSD and 185/60/14 tires last year.  I set my trip meter to zero the day we left for W-S.  It now reads 839.5 miles.  With the "rally" drive and hauling a heavy tool box, a cooler in the back seat, 4.5 quarts of oil and some spare parts, I'm guessing I averaged 23-25 mpg.   Comparing the speedometer to my Waze speedo, I'm reading about 6 mph too high, so my trip meter will be a little off.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

tii's are more efficient than the carby's....30+ is what jgerock seems to get with his tii on highway.

new fuel injection is even better...the one time i drove my M2 to vintage ( a long enough trip to get decent numbers)  it got 32...twice the HP and better economy than a tii.

of course in normal driving mode....on a track....the car gets 9mpg.

IIRC that trip you made to Vintage was with the 3.91 diff... mileage will suffer with the 4.11 (street) and 4.44 (track) gears.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I should be getting my '74tii back this week.  The KF was just rebuilt, and the new engine has 2,000 miles on it.  Pre-KF-breaking mpg readings were 24.  

We'll see how that changes with the new KF.

Back it the days of the 55mph speed limit, I had no problem getting 32mpg on the long steady drive from San Diego to San Jose, via the 101 scenic route.

Cheers,

Carl

IIRC that trip you made to Vintage was with the 3.91 diff... mileage will suffer with the 4.11 (street) and 4.44 (track) gears.

So let me get this straight.  The stock 73tii diff is 4.11?  I'm pretty sure my diff is 3 point something.  I rotate the dshaft one turn and the rear wheel(s) turn 3 point something turns.  I always thought the tii diff was 3.91.

And if a street diff is 4.11 wouldn't you get more miles out of the engine rpm?

EDIT! EDIT! EDIT!  I've got it backwards, don't I.  For every 4.11 dshaft revolutions the rear wheels turn one revolution.  That would make sense.

I can get confused on this issue real fast!

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

So let me get this straight.  The stock 73tii diff is 4.11?  I'm pretty sure my diff is 3 point something.  I rotate the dshaft one turn and the wheel(s) turn 3 point something turns.  I always thought the tii diff was 3.91.

And if a street diff is 4.11 wouldn't you get more miles out of the engine rpm?

no.  he was referring to my M2.  it has a variety of differentials....

stock tii diff is a 3.64, not a 3.91.

higher the number, the FEWER miles you get per rpm.

2xM3

Getting great mileage, of course, because the car always thinks it's going downhill.  

brilliant!

Do you find it rolls off on its own if you don't set the parking brake?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

You know, it's funny, but the car doesn't do that. I can't figure out why.

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold