• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter support plate question

Healey3000

I can't tell you that right now, but I can tell you for an old style (I believe, look at my post in "what did you do to your car today"), from end to end is 297mm. 

shortened is 207, you may be able to glean what you're after from my picture, with a little work in photoshop.

I can check when I get home, as I asked the same question, didn't get an answer, and think it should be documented.

measured ~165 + 90 I took out = 255mm from front edge of shifter plate to center

hope that helps

Thank you!

Would you say the plate butts up against the gearbox pretty well?

Once shortened to 165 mm, do you think it would be practical to support the shifter without having that brace to the bottom of the gearbox?  I'm toying with the idea of installing two rods into the bolt holes that currently support the plate and then having the shifter in a small carrier that rides on the two rods.  I would use vibration isolators between the carrier and the rods (probably e36 bushings from the shift arm support).  No connection to chassis or gearbox at the back end of the rods.

I understand that there will be cantilevered loads but with two beefy rods going into a solid die cast housing, I'm thinking it would be okay.

I'd guess the edge is around 1mm or less from the case.

I'm still a little undecided where the support rod will go for me, but either some place on the transmission, or on the mount that is attached to the body.  Most likely straight to the transmission somewhere, so any flex (not expecting a lot) in the rubber joint will not show up in shifter movement.  But I'm still a little ways away from getting to that point, so plans may change :)

Went back out to figure out what to do, and grabbed the old brace to see what kind of Mount it used. Put it in place, and the silly thing lined up with a bolt on the exhaust mount.

Grabbed the little u piece off the old transmission, and all it requires was the existing slotted hole slotted a little more., and some grinding on the end.

post-42066-14293282950526_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if this is something I have over looked in other posts, but it made me happy to not have to fab a piece and use an original piece.

Rather be lucky than good :)