• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 2002 On Ebay: What's It Worth?

vairter

I guess we'll find out what a really nice squaretail is worth...assuming it is what is says it is, and what it appears to be.  It looks pretty turn-key.  To me if you put a video of the thing running,  it means you have some level of pride in the car, and want people to hear it run.

My guess is that it would top out around $16k or $17k.  If I was new to 02s, or was without one, and just wanted to press the easy button and not mess around, I would pay that $16k or so and not blink an eye.  I agree that the color combo isn't going to get people as excited as some others probably would.

Again, if it is what it appears to be in the internet pictures, which we know never lie.  ;)

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

I would have to see the car before I offered him anything. I see a lot of red flags from the pictures. The new Roundel, paint and trim looks good from the pictures but paint can hide many things. One think I really don't like is how he sprayed everything in the wheel wells with a black coating, brake lines, struts and springs. I wonder what is under the coating? Red calipers and silver rotors, bearing cap and lugs. Even the braking surface was painted and the lug nuts have not been put on the fresh paint yet. In the rear with the red shocks you can see that the lower trim is held on with a screw. Why not just do it right? The suspension is only mentioned as original. There are no pictures of the underside so I would have to assume that all the bushings will have to be renewed. The car has speaker holes in the door panels, non-2002 center console, dash cover, wrong wiper arms just to mention a few so I would not buy the car an original  example. 

Then he claims that the car has been "an Original California Car" all it's life. If so, why doesn't it have Blue plates? Car has original Weber 38(?) and 228mm flywheel. I thought that 1974 non TII models had the 215mm flywheel. The exhaust exits out of the center although my '74 exhaust is offset. Maybe it was changed mid year.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the car, I'm just saying know what you are buying. As the seller states '"The Car will be Sold As Is with No Warranties"

I looks 99% to me.  Aside from pet peeves like speakers in the doors and missing trim on inside door handles, it looks very tidy.

I agree...why spray all that black.  A bit of a red flag, but my gut tells me this is a great car.

I wouldn't be surprised at 15K - 20K.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

'Freshly rebuilt' doesn't give me much confidence that it was rebuilt well.  100 miles isn't enough time to shake out any problems. Who rebuilt it, and did they know what they are doing?  Any number of bolts could work their way out and wreak havok. 

Give it a couple thousand miles at least. 

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Nice looking car. Too bad about the undercoat. Oh yeah, he has the year wrong. It's a 75 or 76 from the placement of the coil, windshield washer bottle, type of seats, and center exhaust. Don't have my VIN decoder ring handy to be sure which year.

Edited by JAS

1974 Verona 2002 tii

1974 Polaris 2002 tii (deceased)

'Freshly rebuilt' doesn't give me much confidence that it was rebuilt well.  100 miles isn't enough time to shake out any problems. Who rebuilt it, and did they know what they are doing?  Any number of bolts could work their way out and wreak havok. 

Give it a couple thousand miles at least. 

No time when your flipping cars. He's also got a '69 for sale with a rebuilt engine with 500 miles. It's painted sell me red too.

I would have to see the car before I offered him anything. I see a lot of red flags from the pictures. The new Roundel, paint and trim looks good from the pictures but paint can hide many things. One think I really don't like is how he sprayed everything in the wheel wells with a black coating, brake lines, struts and springs. I wonder what is under the coating? Red calipers and silver rotors, bearing cap and lugs. Even the braking surface was painted and the lug nuts have not been put on the fresh paint yet. In the rear with the red shocks you can see that the lower trim is held on with a screw. Why not just do it right? The suspension is only mentioned as original. There are no pictures of the underside so I would have to assume that all the bushings will have to be renewed. The car has speaker holes in the door panels, non-2002 center console, dash cover, wrong wiper arms just to mention a few so I would not buy the car an original  example. 

Then he claims that the car has been "an Original California Car" all it's life. If so, why doesn't it have Blue plates? Car has original Weber 38(?) and 228mm flywheel. I thought that 1974 non TII models had the 215mm flywheel. The exhaust exits out of the center although my '74 exhaust is offset. Maybe it was changed mid year.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the car, I'm just saying know what you are buying. As the seller states '"The Car will be Sold As Is with No Warranties"

way too many inaccuracies in the write up.  especially for someone who reportedly has lots of 2002's.  leather interior?  "original" weber carb?  huh?

no pictures of the bottom of the car or rockers.

the paint job in the wheel wells is just criminal.  it is like someone had 5min and a rattle can to make it look pretty.  makes you instantly suspicious of the quality of any other work on the car.   maybe the engine was not rebuilt, just painted with a rattle can.

look at the overspray everywhere in the engine compt.   strut towers, hood latch, all the bolts and nuts are painted. significant orange peel in the paint around the wheel wells.  the trunk..the latch is painted, there is overspray on the fuel hoses, etc.  that is truly a low quality job.  is that a painted over rust hole on the rad support right in front of the snorkel?

i would not offer any money for that car without in person inspection.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

More hilarity.

See the sheet metal screw in the rocker trim in the picture above. To me that is unacceptable. If I saw that in person, it would worry me about other goofy things done to sell the car.

If the seller is on this forum...what were you thinking! Use a simple and inexpensive clip rather than an obvious ugly screw.

I still think the car looks great overall and hopefully most of the restoration is done properly.

73 Inka Tii #2762958