• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ads 320I Speakers

Andy74tii

I'm finally getting around to getting some front speakers in the tii, and here is my solution. I have been trying for around 10 years to find some a/d/s 320i component speakers, which are period correct to the car, and recently got them. At first, I thought they would do well in the doors, but I really didn't want to cut up my panels, which do not have holes. So, I looked for some already butchered panels, but really didn't find anything I needed, so I went to plan B. I reinforced the under dash panels with some layers of fiberglass, and used steel washers around mounting holes to mount the mids. Since my dash is far from pristine, I mounted the tweeters up on top of the dash. I haven't listened to them yet (I have a/d/s 300i plate speakers in the parcel tray in back), but the install looks pretty clean and stealthy to me. Anyway, this solution seems to work for my purposes. I have two a/d/s powerplate 80s to power front and back separately, from a modernish Alpine CD head unit.

Andy74tii

post-9228-0-43142800-1411005959_thumb.jp

post-9228-0-14425200-1411005969_thumb.jp

post-9228-0-69854000-1411005980_thumb.jp

post-9228-0-83485600-1411005990_thumb.jp

FAQ Member #126

nicely done.

too late, but i would have mounted the tweeters on the vertical face of the dash.  high frequencies are fairly directional.  aiming the tweeters at the passengers rather that up would probably sound better.  but hey, it is a 2002.  not exactly a quiet sound stage anyway!

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Yes, I did consider eurotrash's panels, but one thing that held me back a little was my concern about my clumsy feet kicking the speakers! Also, i still have the original carpet in this car, which is one piece, and I like the esty carpet covers for those, but it would probably require me to get all new carpet to match (I know very well about shipwright's disease!). Marshall, I did consider mounting them as you described, but I actually think the curved sections at the end of the dash might help "direct" the sound forward a little bit.... who knows?

FAQ Member #126