• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My roof has been molested by the po, they installed some crapy aftermarket sunroof and I hate it. When I redid the body this winter I left it because I didnt think i could weld the hole shut with out it showing up. I have always liked the look of the rag top VWs and I did some searching and found this site. http://www.slidingragtops.com/ I have seen a few 02s with the Wabaso tops and really dig the look. Has anyone had experiance with the company above? and has any one here tried one of these kits?

I am UK based and have a Webasto roof fitted to my car.  Probably done back in the 70's.  I wasn't a big fan initially, as it is in a bad state and needs overhauling. 

But, I am in the process of a major rebuild, so it will be redone and I am looking forward to it.  I have been swayed towards a more positive attitude after seeing pics of some properly fitted ones and the roof will now be a major feature on the rebuilt car.

I think they can look good and if (unlike here in the UK), you get lots of sunny weather, go for it.  I think a good (period) sliding roof, will look way better than a 'molested' 1980's sunroof !!

Don't t know if they still do, but at one time Webasto had a US office in the Detroit area, and there were shops in the US that installed their sunroofs.  You might Google 'em and see what you can find.

Another couple of thoughts--pre 1964 VWs used sliding fabric sunroofs--wonder if one from an old VW could be made to fit a 2002, or if the VW's roof contour is too rounded.  Or, find a 2002 parts car with a sunroof and perform a roofectomy--is't been done more than a few times, and a good body shop should have no trouble with the transplant.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Another couple of thoughts--pre 1964 VWs used sliding fabric sunroofs--wonder if one from an old VW could be made to fit a 2002, or if the VW's roof contour is too rounded.  Or, find a 2002 parts car with a sunroof and perform a roofectomy--is't been done more than a few times, and a good body shop should have no trouble with the transplant.

cheers

mike

IIRC, both the early and later VW sunroofs were all made by Golde.  The curvature of the VW roof seems to be very different than the 2002.

BugOutSept2010063.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Don't t know if they still do, but at one time Webasto had a US office in the Detroit area, ​ and there were shops in the US that installed their sunroofs.  You might Google 'em and see what you can find.

cheers

mike

Sports Car Restoration (SCR) in Plainville CT used to have a pictorial on their website where they did exactly that:  cut off a 'slicktop' and replaced it with a sunroof top.  Unfortunately, their site crashed, so I don't think you can access the pics of that project, but I am sure you can contact Matt McGinn, and he will tell you all you need to know about it.  

Here is a link to their new site:

http://sports-car-restoration.com/

Great folks! Full disclosure:  I know these guys and I love the place.  Here is a blog post on one of my visits there.

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2013/06/baurspotting-visits-sports-car.html

Edited by tomscat1

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting), 1982 323i Baur

1991 325ix (winter), 1977 320i (carbed), 1989 325ix

1989 325iC (summer), 1979 323i (project), 1978 320i (parts)

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

I have often wondered if you could transplant the sunroof from an E30. I love the tilt or slide functions. And the roof line is very similar.

Just a thought. Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver