• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Engine And Carb Is This?

BeMyWay

I am looking at purchasing a 1970 BMW1600 that does not have a stock motor.  

IMG_7374_zps0sqfckan.jpg

This motor in the car has a electric fuel pump.   The opening for a mechanical fuel pump was not cast into the head. It starts and runs smoothly.  It has not been started in years before we fired it up.

Also, it has a 2-barrel Weber carb...havent been able to find it either.  What are all the hoses that are attached to it?  I know some are water and vacuum...I guess I am saying can I replace this with stock equipment and not run into lots of problems.

IMG_5926_zps8736a944.jpg

As most of you know I have a parts car, "Can't Leave it Here" topic.  I plan to swap that motor if needed.

I need help identifying the engine and carb.  And want to know your opinion of such a swap.

As always thank you.

Edited by BeMyWay

Light is seriously underrated.

Does this motor run?  If so, keep it, along with the carb, unless you're determined to go with the original motor.  Replacing the mechanical fuel pump with an electric fuel pump is a very common swap.  The carburetor appears to be a Weber 38/38.  I'd keep that setup, as it's as close to stock that all the replacement parts are readily available, and tuning procedures are well known.  Replacement parts for the original Solex carbs are hard to come by, and the upgrade to a Weber carb is just that--an upgrade.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

No way to tell which engine it is by looking at the valve cover (other than it is an M10) see if you can get a picture of the sides of the head, the numbers on there will go a long way towards determining what the motor is. You should see the head's model # (121, E12, E21) and a casting date.

74 Golf

"IF" it is a 1600 it would have a 118 marking on the head (but then it would also have the fuel pump mount).  Also look at the s/n on the block.  My guess is someone put a 2 Liter engine in it at some point in the last 44 years,  "I'm Shocked, how could they do such a thing" 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

"IF" it is a 1600 it would have a 118 marking on the head (but then it would also have the fuel pump mount).  Also look at the s/n on the block.  My guess is someone put a 2 Liter engine in it at some point in the last 44 years,  "I'm Shocked, how could they do such a thing" 

The po must have been power hungry...trying to gain some HP in this little machine. :D

Edited by BeMyWay

No way to tell which engine it is by looking at the valve cover (other than it is an M10) see if you can get a picture of the sides of the head, the numbers on there will go a long way towards determining what the motor is. You should see the head's model # (121, E12, E21) and a casting date.

I'll get pictures of the head soon and get them posted.

Thanks.

The po must have been power hungry...trying to gain some HP in this little machine. :D

Sacrilege!

:lol:

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Looks like the '77 320 engine I picked up recently. It also did not have the casting for the mechanical fuel pump.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

Ray should change his signature to something like... "Oh, this little car? It's basically stock..."  he and Marshal with their "slightly modified" cars. :)

I'm only a "little" jealous...

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

The valve cover in your picture doesn't have the little bracket attachment point that E21 M10s have, but it is a late 2002 valve cover (squarelight, not roundie).  The lack of a drilled out mechanical fuel pump mounting point means the head (at least) is either from an E21 or an E30.

As was pointed out, the engine serial number and the casting nomenclature on the head itself will go a long way to identifying what you have.  Remember that US spec 80-83 E21s and all M10-equipped E30s have 1.8 liter engines, not 2 liter.

cheers

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The valve cover in your picture doesn't have the little bracket attachment point that E21 M10s have, but it is a late 2002 valve cover (squarelight, not roundie).  The lack of a drilled out mechanical fuel pump mounting point means the head (at least) is either from an E21 or an E30.

As was pointed out, the engine serial number and the casting nomenclature on the head itself will go a long way to identifying what you have.  Remember that US spec 80-83 E21s and all M10-equipped E30s have 1.8 liter engines, not 2 liter.

cheers

mike

Mike, what bracket are you referring too...attached is a picture from my 1982 e21.

IMG_5401_zps3528305e.jpg

I appreciate all your help...Thanks

The mounting pad for the warm- up valve on some E21's.

That Weber might have the 'adaptptor' on it for the stock (or an alternate) air cleaner.

Otherwise, it's possible it's not one of the standard variants we usually use-

more pix are required!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL