• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'74 2002Tii Sighting In Monterey At Nps

This is totally mind-blowing for me.  This morning I arrived onto the grounds of the Navy Postgraduate School in Monterey.  That means a military ID card yada yada yada to get past the gate guard ..... "regular" civilians don't get on this place without lots of whatever.

SO, I'm walking around sightseeing and my jaw hits the deck when I see this !!!!

19742002tii_sighting__NavyPGSchool__23AP

I left a note on the windshield that I'll be here for a few days, and where to find me, etc etc etc for some '74tii yak and chat.

and the worst part:  I did not drive mine for this trip ..... (sigh).

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

I've seen the car around before, and it's a beaut. Don't think I've seen another tii in that color. . My wife and I just got home from Monterey....you  lucked out, weather wise. Pretty turbulent yesterday.

It's a local car, can't remember the owner's name but a friend of mine has traded cars with him in the past and driven it around for a while.  The name will come to me later but as I recall it was spec'd out at Bay Motor Works in Seaside. 

It looks to be Taiga metallic: pretty darned rare! Factory-recommended interior color is black per the February '74 color brochure (but beige per the February '75, post-U.S.-tii-era brochure).

Gorgeous!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Carl,

The car is mine, vin 2780501.  I purhased the car 20 years ago from a couple that was flipping it from the original owners estate.  I have original invoice, all receipts from day one, and picture of the car on date of original sale.  It had about 275K on it, but the odomoter was not working, so who knows.  I also have one of those cool gas books where you record mileage and how much gas you used, and how much it cost.  $5.00 would go a very long way in those days, and the original owner used it religeously.

I did a full restoration on the car soon after purchase.  I replaced every nut and bolt, rubber piece, switch, relay, etc as my goal was to have a new TII.  Motor was built by Rick Hanner at Hannerhaus is Santa Rosa and is far from stock.  H&R springs with Bilstein shocks, but stock sway bars and rubber mounts.  I wanted a good ride, not a bumpy one.  Wheels are 5X5 factory optional wheels for the 2002 which you can still get, but I like the way the look even if they are narrower than the stock steel wheels.  I have the stock 13 X 5.5 as well as a set of 14 X 6 from a 325.  All look nice but give very different looks and ride quality.

Paint and body as well as rear seat building and apolstery were done in Seaside at Antique Auto Resoration.  Front seats are Recaro with wider than normal bottoms.  They are black with the moca red & blue M colors which matches the steering wheel M strips.  The front and rear seats not only match in color and fabric, but the rear has the same shape and tufting as the fronts.  That is my favorite part of the car, it looks like it didn't just have some cool seats thrown in it.  I have all the factory (dealer installed) A/C along with a new console, but really don't want to install it as I never would need it here in Monterey.

Hannerhaus also rebuild the diff and the stock 4 speed, but it now has a 5 speed in it.  I actually like the 4 speed ratios better, and this motor is all about torque.  I can drive all day in 3rd around town and it just pulls.

Anyway, glad you liked it, it has been a pleasure to own and drive for 20 years.  It is getting ready for new door seals and window rubbers and chrome, but I think I can milk it along for another two or three years as is.

I will be at Bimmerfest in May on Saturday, so you may see it again.

Cheers

Buddy

Buddy,

what a beauty, and a rare privilege for me to be in the right place at the right time.  I was very careful to not get any drool on the paint.

I was going to try and find you, so I drifted into a couple of NPS offices this morning, pointed out your BMW, and asked, "Any idea who owns that ??"   One guy said,  "what, that old job ??"  Sheesh, those Navy guys with a nice haircut but no sense of reality.

Anyway, I'm departing in the morning, and seeing your BMW really added a fine touch to this vacation.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

WOW !!  I just spent an hour in Buddy's office, we yakked and chatted all things BMW !!   (slideshow, yes, Buddy is on staff).

I walked over about 0720 and there was his '74tii parked out front, looking gorgeous in the morning sunlight.  We compared all sorts of notes on histories and builds and rebuilds and new projects.

Cheers,

Carl

Carl,

The car is mine, vin 2780501.  I purhased the car 20 years ago from a couple that was flipping it from the original owners estate.  I have original invoice, all receipts from day one, and picture of the car on date of original sale.  It had about 275K on it, but the odomoter was not working, so who knows.  I also have one of those cool gas books where you record mileage and how much gas you used, and how much it cost.  $5.00 would go a very long way in those days, and the original owner used it religeously.

I did a full restoration on the car soon after purchase.  I replaced every nut and bolt, rubber piece, switch, relay, etc as my goal was to have a new TII.  Motor was built by Rick Hanner at Hannerhaus is Santa Rosa and is far from stock.  H&R springs with Bilstein shocks, but stock sway bars and rubber mounts.  I wanted a good ride, not a bumpy one.  Wheels are 5X5 factory optional wheels for the 2002 which you can still get, but I like the way the look even if they are narrower than the stock steel wheels.  I have the stock 13 X 5.5 as well as a set of 14 X 6 from a 325.  All look nice but give very different looks and ride quality.

Paint and body as well as rear seat building and apolstery were done in Seaside at Antique Auto Resoration.  Front seats are Recaro with wider than normal bottoms.  They are black with the moca red & blue M colors which matches the steering wheel M strips.  The front and rear seats not only match in color and fabric, but the rear has the same shape and tufting as the fronts.  That is my favorite part of the car, it looks like it didn't just have some cool seats thrown in it.  I have all the factory (dealer installed) A/C along with a new console, but really don't want to install it as I never would need it here in Monterey.

Hannerhaus also rebuild the diff and the stock 4 speed, but it now has a 5 speed in it.  I actually like the 4 speed ratios better, and this motor is all about torque.  I can drive all day in 3rd around town and it just pulls.

Anyway, glad you liked it, it has been a pleasure to own and drive for 20 years.  It is getting ready for new door seals and window rubbers and chrome, but I think I can milk it along for another two or three years as is.

I will be at Bimmerfest in May on Saturday, so you may see it again.

Cheers

Buddy

I am sure somewhere car gods are thanking you for not only keeping such a nice car, but taking the time to share such a complete write-up about your car. 

MF

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay