• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tires For 14 X 6 1/2 Basket Weaves

70deluxe

This is all new to me so apologies if I sound like a rookie--it's because I am. 

I bought some 14 x 6 1/2 basket weaves and have been looking around for tires. 

From what I could gather on the "Stance" thread it seems like the standard for this size rim is 195 x 60. 

I was hoping for something a little lower profile and the best I've been able to find is 195 x 55. 

The guy at the tire store told me that the load index for the 195 x 60 is 86.  The load index for a 195 x 55 is 82.  I guess an '02 is rated at an 85.  He said they won't even put on the 195 x 55  because of liability issues... 

Can anybody weigh in on this that's not going to be liable...?  Geez. 

This car isn't a daily driver.  It's my second car and will be driven here and there but nothing major.  Can I get away with 195 x 55 x 14?

Thanks, everybody.

post-45038-0-78811400-1381879070_thumb.j

The E30 even came with the 6.5x14 wheels shod with 195/65R14 tires. The 195/60s will work, but what you propose will be far from the original 2002 tire circumference - go with what works & is safe.

Here are two wheel/tire tools you can use:

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

As an aside, if you don't have the plastic center caps for your new wheels and don't want to spend the $$ to buy 'em, paint the centers black.  They look more finished that way and a can of black spray paint is a lot cheaper than four center caps at $50+ each.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

John_in_VA-- thanks for the response.  i always appreciate your help and comments--very, very helpful.  but sometimes what "works and what is safe" is why we modify things, right? 

mlytle-- i went through the "stance" thread and mostly found that 165 x 60 were the lowest profile i found. So you're saying 55s will be one inch too small in diameter, huh?  I probably should have bought 15 x7...  Thanks for the pics.  That helps. 

Stuart--where are you located?  i might be interested in selling these rims.  I just had them refinished and they are brand new.  I'm in San Diego.  If I end up keeping them, I do plan on playing with the suspension and lowering a bit.  And will send some pics.

mike--hadn't thought about painting the centers.  I have three hub cap caps but they're mix and match.  I was going to paint them with some Wurth paint and clear coat and then throw new BMW centers on.  But still have to buy a fourth.  Maybe once they all get stolen I'll just go black centers..

c.d.iesel--you like the 185s or 195s more for just general driving?  I won't be on any tracks.

Thanks, guys.

Court

Here's what they look like with black centers and e30 bottlecap stainless center caps. I didn't do it for this pic, but the caps should fit securely if the tabs are bent out a bit (the outer part of the basketweave center bore is larger than that on the bottlecaps, even though both are 57.1mm bore at the hub mating surface).

-David

DSCF3592.jpg

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

mlytle -

I have been through the "Stance" thread.

Thank you for the nice pics.  What's the suspension set up on that nice car? 

Stuart

custom ground control adjustable race suspension. tons of detail in build thread.

mlytle-- i went through the "stance" thread and mostly found that 165 x 60 were the lowest profile i found. So you're saying 55s will be one inch too small in diameter, huh?  I probably should have bought 15 x7...  Thanks for the pics.  That helps. 

Court

yes, check any tire size calculator.  55's too short, unless you like your tire looking small and having your speedo read really high.  upside is better acceleration from better effective final drive ratio.

same wheel style in 15x7 on same car.

VV2010095.jpg

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

The guy at the tire store told me that the load index for the 195 x 60 is 86.  The load index for a 195 x 55 is 82.  I guess an '02 is rated at an 85.  He said they won't even put on the 195 x 55  because of liability issues... 

Can anybody weigh in on this that's not going to be liable...?  Geez. 

This car isn't a daily driver.  It's my second car and will be driven here and there but nothing major.  Can I get away with 195 x 55 x 14?

Thanks, everybody.

On Load index of 82 vs 85:  Some armchair logic... 

Using the 185x60x14 82H Dunlop Direzza ZII as an example (ultra high performance summer tire, for the sake of example), load rating of 82 is listed as 1047lbs per wheel.  2200lbs car + 200lbs driver = 2400lbs or 600lbs per wheel.  Or, each tire is just below 60% max weight capacity.  Worst case scenario, if you are cornering (or braking for the sake of the argument) so hard that you are on two wheels, you will be placing 2400lbs on 2 tires, or 1200lbs per tire, which is above the 1047lbs per tire weight restriction.  A 85 load rating still only brings you up to 1135lbs per tire, and you need to get a load ratign of 87 to get up to 1201lbs per tire to cover the above scenario.  

That being said find me a daily driver street tire and suspension/brake setup that has has the ability to generate enough force to put 100% of a cars weight on two tires. Physics will win and lateral force will always overpower tire traction before you ever get to to point of that level of weight transfer.  Besides, if you get that level of weight transfer, I call that "a roll" and load rating 82 vs 85 is the least of your worries.  More realistically, the biggest concern in load rating is the hard right or left turn (+/- breaking).  In this case much of the car's weight transfers to the outer front wheel.  Again, depending on traction, you can put a lot of weight on one tire.  That being said, most tires will loose traction and cause understeer (stopping more weight transfer) before enough weight is transferred to cause anything tragic. 

Pro tip: Load ratings were made for a reason.  Think of them as someone else doing the math for you.  However, In a legal happy society, all manufacturers will lean to caution with suggestions.  Drive like a granny and you will be fine on any tire I am sure.  Track the car and beware.  That being said, many who track cars upgrade suspensions to minimize body roll, and thus weight transfers, keeping weight more evenly balanced on 4 wheels.   Also, no one tire profile has a set load rating.  Look at different brands.  Not all tires were made equal. 

Pro tip #2:  If you are keen to work your noggin, remember that load rating changes with tire pressure.  Drive a car hard, the tire heats up, tire pressure increases, as does load rating.  Many manufacturers will have charts for load ratings for a specific tire at different cold tire pressures.  For high performance tires, this heat also increases grip (and thus stress on the tire), to a point.  That is why raace drivers warm tires up before going balls-out.  So one way to compensate for an underrated tire is to increase pressure.  Just be sure to check your pressures "hot".    

On rolling diameter:

Compared to stock 165/80/13 original tires, your 195/55/14 has a 4% smaller rolling diameter.  Your speedo will read 4% faster than you are actually going, and your rpm's will be 4% higher at a given speed.  For the stance crowd, the important number here is the larger appearing wheel well due to overall 4% smaller tire.  FYI, 185/60/14 is about 2.8% smaller than stock, and 195/60/14's are 0.77% smaller than stock. 

Long story short, stick to 195/60/14's with a 85 load rating. EDIT: My coaker Michelin XAS 165/80/13 tires are raited 82H.  82 should be fine. 

Edited by gliding_serpent

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)

John_in_VA-- thanks for the response.  i always appreciate your help and comments--very, very helpful.  but sometimes what "works and what is safe" is why we modify things, right?

Yep, but most here enjoy driving their cars vs. "stancing" them, and aim for fit, clearance, grip & safety. Different strokes for different folks.

post-222-1381664361.jpg

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif