• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Remove Ignition Lock With Hammer & Punch

DanOKC

How to remove lock cylinder without drilling the roll pin out.
Tools required:

1/8“ drift punch or pin punch
Hammer
Flat blade screwdriver

OK, I posted long ago about this, I heard of how to do this from a BMW independent mechanic long ago, after I had already drilled out one or two.

I have done it once or twice before, but decided to take my time & document it this time with pics.

It is much quicker, easier to do, then using a drill, IMO.

Other reasons:  less mess, no chance of drilling into the lock and ruining it.
The lock is not damaged either, it was designed for this to be done this way. Maybe someone with the blue books can verify if it is mentioned there.

All I did:
1.  Insert key, turn it to fahrt.
2. Line up 1/8“ punch, tap the hammer 1 to 3 times, you want the pin to go in barely 1/8" took me 3 light taps, & I emphasize “light” and only 1/8", no more. The pic that shows the punch through the hole is only to show the 1/8" size fits. Don't go that far with the punch to remove your lock.
3. Take flat blade screwdriver & pry lightly but firmly and pull lightly on key or other side/edge of cylinder, it should come out, with only little resistance in first 1/4“.       

Note the pic of the lock cylinder once removed, the pin is just flush with the cylinder.

I still need to address the issue of the pin, it ends up inside the lock mech.
If you are installing a new lock cylinder, this is not an issue.
If you want to reuse this lock cylinder, you need to either drill the lock pin out, which should be much easier now that it can be done on a bench, using a drill press and a vice to hold the lock, or at least a vice to hold the lock & a hand drill.

There are other ways to remove it, but that is the most obvious.

Also the last pic shows where you can find your Key Code sticker if you need to order a factory key.

I blacked out my last 2 digits, because I am cool :-) 

post-33314-0-29964000-1377456698_thumb.j

post-33314-0-57093600-1377456716_thumb.j

post-33314-0-02555000-1377456774_thumb.j

post-33314-0-28245600-1377456799_thumb.j

post-33314-0-61260000-1377456817_thumb.j

• Like 3

2002 owner since 1980

A small screw (like those for the trunk floor), a pair of mini vice grips and a medium screw driver work just as well. I screw the screw into the roll pin just a few turns, grab it close to the lock assembly with the vice grips, then pry the pin out with the screwdriver.

Cheers and HTH

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

A small screw (like those for the trunk floor), a pair of mini vice grips and a medium screw driver work just as well. I screw the screw into the roll pin just a few turns, grab it close to the lock assembly with the vice grips, then pry the pin out with the screwdriver.

Cheers and HTH

sounds like an ez-out would work for the same process?

have not pulled a lock before, but will need to at some point to disable the steering lock (track thing...)

2xM3

Didn't and don't have an easy out tiny enough...

Tom Jones

66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i

For T.Jones:  OT but you mentioned the trunk board screws, and Mike S. and I have been trying to locate some of the cup washers that go under those screws.  It's been over a year now and we've had no luck.   Don't happen to know of a source for those do you?

Bob Napier

Message sent Bob. :)

Tom Jones

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...
On 8/25/2013 at 11:59 AM, DanOKC said:

How to remove lock cylinder without drilling the roll pin out.
Tools required:

1/8“ drift punch or pin punch
Hammer
Flat blade screwdriver

OK, I posted long ago about this, I heard of how to do this from a BMW independent mechanic long ago, after I had already drilled out one or two.

I have done it once or twice before, but decided to take my time & document it this time with pics.

It is much quicker, easier to do, then using a drill, IMO.

Other reasons:  less mess, no chance of drilling into the lock and ruining it.
The lock is not damaged either, it was designed for this to be done this way. Maybe someone with the blue books can verify if it is mentioned there.

All I did:
1.  Insert key, turn it to fahrt.
2. Line up 1/8“ punch, tap the hammer 1 to 3 times, you want the pin to go in barely 1/8" took me 3 light taps, & I emphasize “light” and only 1/8", no more. The pic that shows the punch through the hole is only to show the 1/8" size fits. Don't go that far with the punch to remove your lock.
3. Take flat blade screwdriver & pry lightly but firmly and pull lightly on key or other side/edge of cylinder, it should come out, with only little resistance in first 1/4“.       

Note the pic of the lock cylinder once removed, the pin is just flush with the cylinder.

I still need to address the issue of the pin, it ends up inside the lock mech.
If you are installing a new lock cylinder, this is not an issue.
If you want to reuse this lock cylinder, you need to either drill the lock pin out, which should be much easier now that it can be done on a bench, using a drill press and a vice to hold the lock, or at least a vice to hold the lock & a hand drill.

There are other ways to remove it, but that is the most obvious.

Also the last pic shows where you can find your Key Code sticker if you need to order a factory key.

I blacked out my last 2 digits, because I am cool :-) 

post-33314-0-29964000-1377456698_thumb.j

post-33314-0-57093600-1377456716_thumb.j

post-33314-0-02555000-1377456774_thumb.j

post-33314-0-28245600-1377456799_thumb.j

post-33314-0-61260000-1377456817_thumb.j

I'm following your directions to a "T" and the cylinder isn't budging. Do I need to remove the small black piece w/2 wires on the left side? Do I need to unscrew the 2 paint-dabbed screws at the rear where all of the wires connect?

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

• 1 year later...

hi, nice post and pics on the ignition removal,

i also have a worn ignition cylinder that i removed that i need replaced

anyone know where i can look for one, seems none available on autopart/ebay sites

any help appreciated.

thnx don

Here's something to try... On my '88 Ford Ranger, you drive the pin inward to release the tumbler assembly, just like DanOKC described above so many years ago.

To reassemble the Ford tumbler, you:

1. Leave the pin in where you left it.

2. Insert the tumbler (either the one just removed or a new one) into the steering column, aligning the pin to the hole that engages the pin.

3. Insert the key, and rotate it. The lockset drives the pin outward (at least it does on Fords), locking the tumblers in place in the steering column.

That's it. The Ford parts guy told me how to do that. Maybe it will work on '02s? Hopefully, someone can give it a try. I can't because I was one of those creative types and I drilled the pin out, then tapped the hole and inserted a screw back in where the pin came from. Pin is gone on my '02.

Edited by JerryC

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

• 1 year later...