• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what does 2002FAQ think of a flat paint job?

so, i am still in the middle of my restoration which will continue into spring. i hope to have all the body work done by early summer and at that point i am going to do a full respray due to the failed clearcoat from the PO and numerous misc. rusty bits that will need to be reworked slowly over the next few months.

i actually hate the original siennabraun paint that the car has, but when shopping for a 2002 in NJ there are not many cars available. i picked mine up based on a solid running condition, and not based on looks, so brown it is. i am also not a fan of just painting the outside of the car and having the engine bay and other areas a different color.

based on that, i came across a VW recently with a flat brown paint job, and i think it looks pretty cool. what do you guys think? my car has too many small issues to ever be a concourse winner, but a solid paintjob will be done for sure. should i just keep it all-original the way it is now and do it factory color, or should i go a different direction and paint it flat? i think it might be a cool contrast to have flat paint and all the chrome shining bright on top of it. this is just a fun project for me so originality is cool, but not necessarily needed.

give me your opinions please::::

nuzyx.jpg

and for reference- my current crapjob::::

245j4af.jpg

12 BMW 135i + 76 BMW 2002

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell, I'm gonna go against my belief in originality and say a flat black paint job would look awesome with new chrome. Besides, it's your car. Do what you want with it, don't worry about what other people say =]

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

oh yeah also- i forgot to clarify- my buddy owns a body shop so when it comes time to paint the car, i only have to pay for the paint itself so budget is not really a concern.

and i would love flat black, but that means the engine bay would still be brown. so i figure the flat brown would be a compromise between the ideas...

anyone else have a flat paintjob on their 02???

12 BMW 135i + 76 BMW 2002

With the proper amount of flattening agent added. You can experiment with the amount you add to get the effect you want. Just be careful not to wax it too much or it will start to shine more than you wanted. What I did on the 02 Panel truck

Photobucket

Ours is flat black epoxy primer right now. It is all I could do before we had to move. If I had the time and place it would be painted for real by now.

It is only temporary and looked fine for a while but the epoxy primer has grayed in the sun.

Even with the chrome back on, it looks unfinished. With the proper flat paint that has UV protection it may suit your taste, for a while anyway.

satin%20black%202002%205.jpg

satin%20black%202002%204.jpg

71, flat black

Beat to fit, paint to match.

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem" - Ronald Reagan

Mine is all flat finish.

Didn't start out that way, but that's where it's at now.

"Hey, your car is all oxidized."

"Nah. I painted it that way. Why wait for nature?"

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I vote no.

Flat paint is the trend of the day and will not age well. Considering how much work goes into a paint job.......

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I did the matte look with SEM hot rod black. It gets dirty extremely fast! unless the car is aggressive... it looks really silly.

Here's a picture for reference.

155.jpg

I'm not kidding it would grab a layer of dust in just a few hours and would need cleaned....

I think on the body style of the 02 high gloss is the best fit.

...same thing that I think of Justin Bieber, its a fad. It will shall pass.

--Scott

1985 318i (My First); 1996 535i (Loved it/sold it); 1999 323is (My kid likes'em too); 2003 325i (BMW Buy Back)

2005 530i (Best Ride Ever); 2007 x5 (Loved the look, but not the maintenance); 1976 2002 (Bitch'in ride)

Fix any major body issues, and leave it. Patina is earned and it shows the character of the car. If the car's a basket case, then by all means, do a great paint job.

But that's just one guy's opinion, which is worth what you're paying for it.

For the record, I really enjoy flat paint. And so what if it's a fad? Hot ridding has gone through many phases, and if you like the car, who gives a rip what anyone else thinks.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

Mine is matte/semigloss and I really like it (of course my engine bay is a different color which you do not like, but I did it as a conscious decision.). People have been doing flat cars since the 40's or 50's which I think qualifies it as more than a passing fad. Whatever floats your boat, at the end of the day you have to pay for it and look at in your driveway. If you want tradition then go that route, just don't be afraid of getting creative with it if that what your into. Get what you like!

IMG_1371.JPG

1976 2002 - sold off to a new home

1971 2002 project. Follow Me!- http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,362574/

it's not done right til I've done it twice

...same thing that I think of Justin Bieber, its a fad. It will shall pass.

Who ironically has a flat black caddy...

He's 12, how can he drive?!

And topic on hand no I dont like flat black cars. I've seen a couple flat 02's and they're fine but nor my personal style. But it's your car, do as you like. I wont be hattin.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2