• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002ti wannabe project begins

jgerock

The UPS man just delivered (2) packages of goodies from FAQ members this week to get a somewhat slow start on a new project for me.

Solex 40PHH carbs with 32mm venturis and NK manifolds

IMG_6423.jpg

2002ti air cleaner assembly

IMG_6444.jpg

IMG_6440.jpg

My long-terms goal is to build a decent driver Roundie equipped with dual carb engine that somewhat follows the guidelines of the factory ti that we could never get here. The purchase of these (2) items is just a start. Until I sell the VW, another Roundie cannot be purchased to really get this ball rolling.

I'm tempted to use the spare tii engine I already have that has a 121 head and "bath-tub" pistons if it checks out and install the Solex carbs and appropriate timing cover.

I already have (4) tii steel wheels and hub caps purchased from Paul Wegweiser a few years ago and the 4-speed trans/driveshaft I pulled from "Celeste".

I'd like to find a short bumper car with silver dollar cluster to try and stick with the '68 to '71 original ti configuration. I would even consider using a '72 or '73 for this since they seem to be more available.

You folks out West please keep me in mind if you have a candidate! Since I'm tired of red, I'm not interested in any Malaga and Granada bodies. Right now, Chamonix, Agave, Colorado, Riviera, Nevada and Sahara are my flavors.

Stay tuned. Carb inspection and air cleaner 'clean-up' coming this weekend.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Heres a post with a bunch of links pertaining to the Solex carbs.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,345420/highlight,/

Good luck with the Ti Clone!

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

gotta love a project car that starts without a car!

Ha-Ha! if only I had room, things might be different. You have to start with something. I started buying engine parts for the VW before I bought that car too.

Thanks for the multiple e-mails and replies folks. No better bunch of people than the Vintage Bimmer crowd.

fdovergas2002ti.jpg

This is on my desktop now

bmw_2002_ti_p0025859-b.jpg

Jim Gerock

I was looking thru one BMW book I have today that shows the engine of the 2000CS Coupe. The linkage on the rear manifold looks exactly like the ones I have.

Rear one upside down

IMG_6436.jpg

Part of choke and main throttle linkage. These carburetors are very interesting and complex.

IMG_6435.jpg

Jim Gerock

My friend has alot of original ti parts and early Euro stuff..Let me know if you want his contact information..he is looking to sell off some stuff...he is located in Central Florida

69 2002

04 GTI 1.8T Daily Driver

1974 2002 (Wife's car)

**Vintage BMW meet Uptown Altamonte Springs, 2nd Saturday 7pm Near 436 and I-4 in Altamonte Springs FL Email me for details***

My friend has alot of original ti parts and early Euro stuff..Let me know if you want his contact information..he is looking to sell off some stuff...he is located in Central Florida

Thanks! I'm looking for the correct accelerator linkage right now. Please e-mail me off-line.

Jim

Jim Gerock

After washing one of our DD cars, I decided to remove and clean up the manifolds.

Purple Power, brushes and red Scotch-brite pad made them look much better.

IMG_6451.jpg

IMG_6447.jpg

IMG_6455.jpg

IMG_6454.jpg

IMG_6448.jpg

I then started to inspect one of the carbs. Right away, I noticed the venturis were 32mm instead of (what I thought were) 34mm. I'm thinking these are from an 1800ti.

I removed the float chamber cover

IMG_6459.jpg

IMG_6458.jpg

The float needle valve was sticking so I removed it and the inlet fitting for blasting with carb cleaner.

IMG_6465.jpg

IMG_6467.jpg

Both of my carbs have these little fittings that appear to be open to atmosphere

IMG_6461.jpg

IMG_6460.jpg

Next are the air correction jets under a small rectangular cover

Both are 240

IMG_6469.jpgIMG_6472.jpg

Next are the main jets - both are 145

IMG_6478.jpg

IMG_6479.jpg

I don't know what this is for (yet)

IMG_6482.jpg

Nor these

IMG_6483.jpg

IMG_6484.jpg

I believe these are the idle jets - mine are 57.5

IMG_6475.jpg

IMG_6477.jpg

I'll do the same for the other carburetor which has (1) sticking butterfly.

Jim Gerock

Since this is the very first time I've seen both of these next to each other, I took some pics and measurements.

Obviously, the ti assembly is longer (4.25" longer at the central section)

Edit: Added the diameter of main housing = 145 mm

tii center housing = 10.75" long

ti center housing = 15" long

tii throttle body outlet stub: 70mm O.D.

(4) ti carburetor outlet stubs: 62mm O.D.

tii snorkle air inlets: 38-39mm I.D.

ti snorkle air inlets: 42mm I.D.

As such, the rubber boots for the throttle body/carburetors are different:

ti = 137 206 42158 (4 required)

tii = 137 212 55000 (1 required)

Top view

IMG_6486.jpg

Bottom view

IMG_6500.jpg

Note the clearance for the ti/tii brake booster

Also note the small drain hole is located in different places on them.

The (2) mounting brackets for them is different BUT both will bolt right up to the support brackets welded into the fenderwell. This pic shows the body section cut from a very rusty Polaris 74tii (Thanks to Eurotrash!) bolted to the ti air cleaner.

IMG_6488.jpg

Left side (front of car) ti bracket with clearance for clamp

IMG_6490.jpg

Right side ti bracket

IMG_6493.jpg

For comparison purposes, here are the brackets from my old '73tii air cleaner

Left side (front of car)

IMG_6491.jpg

Right side (rear towards cowl)

IMG_6492.jpg

Using the top view, the mounting holes on the central housing are located from the ends:

tii = 2" front and 2" rear

ti = 3" front and 4.125" rear

Also note the snorkles have the clips mounted opposite from each other.

It may appear you can use the tii rear snorkle on the ti housing, but the clips are on different sides.

tii has the clips on the snorkles

ti has the clips on the central housing

Here are some pictures of the inside of the ti central housing (still some cleaning to do)

IMG_6504.jpg

IMG_6503.jpg

IMG_6505.jpg

While I had the body piece bolted to the ti air cleaner, I positioned it on my car's engine to see the installed difference. The length and location of the front snorkle requires either a lowered battery tray (like the factory did it) or relocation into the trunk.

IMG_6494.jpg

IMG_6496.jpg

After that, I checked the 2nd Solex carburetor (# 1/2) and the jets are the same as the rear carb (# 3/4).

I noticed both carbs are stamped with the numbers on the bottom.

IMG_6506.jpg

One butterfly is kind of sticky, so I removed the end linkage pieces, squirted some Liquid Wrench in and worked the throttle plate back and forth many times. It's getting better but not as loose as the adjacent plate.

IMG_6507.jpg

Jim Gerock

From the info I have gathered, the linkage on the manifold(NK 2 liter?), the 32mm choke tubes, the open "holes" in the idle circuit, and the short emulsion tubes lead me to beleive they are off an NK 1800.

I had an identical set on my 74 (although I had to open up the 1800 manifolds to match with the ports in the head)

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,334735/highlight,/

I don't know what this is for (yet)

Thats the one way valve for the accel pump circuit

Nor these

They hold the choke tubes in place

Someone posted the difference between the '02 Ti air box and the NK Ti air box, I cant find it now. Perhaps you also have the NK airbox also?

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

Someone posted the difference between the '02 Ti air box and the NK Ti air box, I cant find it now. Perhaps you also have the NK airbox also?

Thanks!

Here is the old thread with the pictures of the ti and NK airboxes. I ended up recently purchasing the 2002ti air cleaner in this thread from Ken.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,326464/highlight,air+cleaner/

Jim Gerock