• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

Damn, I wish I could get out of here and come see your cars!!!! The 45's look great on that motor, take up a bit more space it looks like but should be way more fun!!!! Hopefully I will get some free time soon to work on my car and eventually get out to see you.

Chris

Make it a point to come to Chapterfest at Bowie Baysox Stadium the end of October. Most of us will be there.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

after we got clay's rear axle bearings replaced, i spent the afternoon tuning the webers. i don't have a complete jet collection, so it helped have three sets of dcoe's and a jar of main jets to mess with.

worked on idle jets first. slow roll on the throttle resulted in power loss at 2500rpm. playe with mixture screw and incrementally ratched up the size of the idle jets. two levels up the flat spot dissapeared.

then worked on main jets. initially power went flat over 4k rpm. again gradually notched up the jet size of the mains and then the air correctors. soon the car pulled strong past 6500.

just a small issue left. punch it when in the 2k range and there is just a bit of hesitation before launch. i would have tried next size up pump jets execpt i didn't have any.

final setup is very different than the "stock" setup the carbs came with..the setup was for an 1800 Ti/SA. (38mm choke, 5.0 venturi)

before main 125 f9 170 idle 45f8 pump 40

after main 140 f9 180 idle 55f8 pump 40

i am sure there is more to go, but good enough for an afternoon without an o2 sensor.

the glitch? gas pedal broke. the nub holder on right side split. hope i can get a new one by friday or else i will be engineering a door hinge solution for the track weekend!

2xM3

If you need someone to run the S14 a bit, the old man comes up to Kodiak quite a lot. I have a few connections at Airsta DC, I'm sure we could just throw it on the G5....

LOL...was just on that plane with vcg last week. would be interesting stuffing the engine in the baggage compt!

2xM3

Your sig indicates a number of potentially available gas pedals.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

reading my mind...just surveyed my collection this morning. all cracked. have two setting up with jb quick now to see it they will work. they would all work fine for street use, but when i twist the foot for heel and toe work, the right side of the pedal pops off the "nub". ancient, hard, cracked rubber just doesn't hang on for some reason!

2xM3

My new pedal fits worse than my old one. Both are in the car, a few... hours... west of you. Have at 'em!

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Your sig indicates a number of potentially available gas pedals.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

reading my mind...just surveyed my collection this morning. all cracked. have two setting up with jb quick now to see it they will work. they would all work fine for street use, but when i twist the foot for heel and toe work, the right side of the pedal pops off the "nub". ancient, hard, cracked rubber just doesn't hang on for some reason!

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 2 weeks later...

got all together and adjusted and spent the weekend at summit point main track. over 4 hours of track time in the 2002 during the instructor sessions alone! equal time riding with students, one of them in a signed 2007 ford shelby cobra 500. a weee bit more hp than the 2002!

one lap of in car video from the 2002 on saturday. camera stuck to pass side vent window with mount unfortunately that allowed a little vibration at speed.

tires were toyo r888's (full tread, not impressed with feel or grip)

brakes porterfield r4 up front r4s shoes in back

stuck my traqmate data acquisition system in the car for fun.

max speed at end of straight 106.24mph

1.2 g's in the turns

lap time in the 1:35's on sunday.

no issues with the car at all!

may need stiffer front springs and or stiffer front swaybar (currently have st bar)

2xM3

Keep me in mind. I currently have a very smokey engine and would having something with a little more power.

Marshall's current M10 is a nice, smooth powerful engine. The valvetrain is very quiet (even with a Schrick 292 cam). I would buy it if I needed another non-tii engine and had the room to store it.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 2 weeks later...

which one of these is not like the others?

DSCN4193.jpg

hint....look for the one with the infinite gap! ouch!

looks like the build up of the s14 will not happen. given the status of the inside of cyl#5 on my race car engine, that plant will get the rebuild dollars this winter. :-(

but, the s14 will still be going into the 02 this fall. "stock" hp will have to do!

2xM3

OUCH!!!!!! That is insane!!! Is that from the 8k rpm shots? I cant believe the entire top is missing, obviously the piston and cylinder are probably mangled up too.

Oh and it was good to finally meet you on Sunday and to see your sweet car, I cant wait to get mine on the road again.

Chris