• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

failed smog...need help with vacuum hoses!!

surfin'02

Hey Everyone,

Went to get my '76 smogged today and the guy busted me since I did not have one of the hoses for the egr attached (it never has been since I bought the car 5+ years ago, but, this guy was more thorough than most...). Anyway, I am at home trying to hook things up properly.

Problem is that I have a Weber 32/36 carb, not the original. So, the diagram I have (attached) doesn't jive.

Can anyone please send me a diagram/drawing of how to properly connect the vacuum lines when a Weber has been installed (with all the smog crap)?

Help, I'm desperate!!

Thanks

Lee

post-16367-13667622756733_thumb.jpg

"Catch a wave and you're sittin' on top of the world"

-BeachBoys

Guest Anonymous
Hey Everyone,

Went to get my '76 smogged today and the guy busted me since I did not have one of the hoses for the egr attached (it never has been since I bought the car 5+ years ago, but, this guy was more thorough than most...). Anyway, I am at home trying to hook things up properly.

Problem is that I have a Weber 32/36 carb, not the original. So, the diagram I have (attached) doesn't jive.

Can anyone please send me a diagram/drawing of how to properly connect the vacuum lines when a Weber has been installed (with all the smog crap)?

Help, I'm desperate!!

Thanks

Lee

Who passed your vehicle last time you got it smogged? Why not go back there? There may be a diagram that accompanies a Weber that was carb certified, but I would be surprised if the tester has one or that it is any different from the one you posted.

The issue is one of getting the EGR to function and that typically requires a vacuum source. Assuming you and the tester are trying to follow the diagram you posted, there are two different sources for vacuum: manifold and above throttle.

Does your distributor have two different sources for vacuum as depicted in the diagram? If so, you can tap into each source for the appropriate type of vacuum by using a "T" fitting. If the "electomagnetic valves" operate as designed and still continue to work, I would tap into the sources it reaches the valves. If you are unable to follow my suggestions, do yourself a favor and call Pierce Manifolds and they can offer you more detailed advice. Do a search for "Pierce Manifolds."

Thank you for spelling desperate correctly, and if you purchase anything via installments, try to make all the payments.

Good Luck!

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Unfortunately, I am going back to the same place that I have successfully gone-to for smog the past 2 smog tests.

Next thing is to verify what you mention below and try a different station.

Thanks again,

Lee

"Catch a wave and you're sittin' on top of the world"

-BeachBoys

I've got instructions that came with my 32/36 Weber years ago describing proper smog hook up for the 2002. It specifically states the 'kit' with the 32/36 is Ca. compliant.

The title of the instructions are:

BMW 2002 1972 to 1976

for kits nos. K8205 and 52-52303 Using Weber 32/36 DGAV-33B1

Weber publication #:

Weber US 5/86 445.8205-IN

It's a bit hard to decipher due to age, but it should help with the smog station. I'll scan it tomorrow at work. Surfin 02, send me an email and I'll forward it to you. Also if someone wants to volunteer to put it up on the site I'll send it on as well.

You might want to contact Pierce Manifolds in Gilroy, who knows, they may have the kit? The kit at the time consisted of 1- 32/36 carb, 1- airfilter adaptor, 1- water choke line, 1-hardware kit.

cheers,

Mark

Mark B

'67 2000CS

Guest Anonymous
I've got instructions that came with my 32/36 Weber years ago describing proper smog hook up for the 2002. cheers,

Mark

Perhaps you can shortcut the process by explaining how the vacuum routing is different from surfer joe's diagram? My recollection is it was virtually the same and required a couple of T fittings.

I just installed the 8205 kit and i have the instructions here...

It says: "Cut a 2" length of vacuum tube and connect to the EGR port on the carb. Install plastic tee onto this hose. Connect vacuum hose from the RED electromagnetic valve and the hose from the 1st stage EGR port to this tee. Install a second plastic tee from the kit in the vacuum hose leading from the #4 intake manifold runner to the control valve assembly. Connect the hose from this tee to the fuel return valve tee. [NOTE]."

Also, make sure the open vacuum ports on the electromagnetic valves are capped.

This process is a nightmare...

good luck

"Namaste." -Ghandi

Here's the Weber 32/36 smog vacuum diagrams....

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,303603/highlight,weber+vacuum+diagram/

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/tjones02_bucket/WeberStuff/

The vacuum line that reads "to air filter"... ignore that but DO run the line from the charcoal canister/fuel tank breather to the small port on the stock air filter. If an aftermarket airfilter then I have made a small vacuum port in the base of aftermarket filters to connect that line to.

More info on ER operation.....

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,307774/highlight,egr/

PS... the search works..... :b.....

If you have any further questions regarding this I'll be watching this thread. Oh, and PLEASE post a followup once you pass smog.:)

HTH!

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Guest Anonymous
Surfer Joe!! HAHAHAHA That's a '60s throwback!!

When the meet was over the trophy was Joe's!

So what really happened? You were hanging 10 on that EGR when there was a smog wipeout? I'm so old my shortest board was 8.5 feet. Mr. Zog hadn't been born yet and the Duke was still in diapers.

Guest Anonymous

To: Tom Jones and MountainView Mark

Even though I have a tii, your postings are not lost on me! This should be required reading and made a part of FAQ's.

Thank you.

HPIM4832.jpg

That's awesome!!!

See, it's not sooooo hard to own a '76 2002 in California if you get to know the 2002FAQ. :)

Tom

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20