jakeb

76 M42.....turbo swap

38 posts in this topic

Been underway for a little bit now just have some time to post some pictures. This is a car for Andy...super m42 swap

76 02..

BIG wilwood front brakes

VW rear discs

m42 swap/e30 5 speed

super 60 turbo

42lb injectors

stock motronic efi with a tuned chip

low boost around 7psi

The intake and valve cover will be powder coated red and charge pipes will be black. Waiting for parts to come back from the powder coater before I can put the rest together fire it up and get to tuning

Pictures are in no particular order

turboplacement1.JPG

turboplacement2.JPG

turboplacement3.JPG

manifold1.JPG

manifold2.JPG

manifold3.JPG

manifold4.JPG

manifold5.JPG

manifold6.JPG

manifold7.JPG

manifold8.JPG

manifold9.JPG

wastegate.JPG

piping2.JPG

piping.JPG

ready1.JPG

ready2.JPG

ready3.JPG

ready4.JPG

ready5.JPG

ready6.JPG

ready7.JPG

brakesfront.JPG

brakesrear.JPG

Stock compression? I have the same turbo in my garage right now, and I'm interested to see the results.

DO YOU THINK YOU WILL HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE TURBOCHARGER

BANGING ON THE SIDE OF THE FENDER ?

yes stock compression

There is space between the turbo and the fender and it will have poly motor mounts. If it hits I will make a little space with a slight hammer massage.

Tuning the stock motonic with tunerRT and an ostrich2. It will have a set of 42lb injectors and then a burned chip when it's all said and done.

love the sequence pix. i cant imagine how much fun that is to smash in. how long did the build take you?

where did you get the filter on the turbo? been looking for one of those.

NICE! i just had to say.....nice work and on a very cool motor for our little 2002's!!! excellent, bra! keep up the photos and keep us informed! awesome!!!!

mark in miami

Tuning the stock motonic with tunerRT and an ostrich2. It will have a set of 42lb injectors and then a burned chip when it's all said and done.

Sounds like a good setup. You have a baseline tune to start with or are you going from scratch? I would think the AFM would be maxed out pretty quickly with that setup? any way around that?

There is a guy in canada that I am working with that has a similar setup. He is running around 12-15psi in an e36 with a m42 and a blow through afm.

I am starting from scratch. Tune the idle with a wideband to set the new injectors....adjust all the maps to work with the new injectors. Then tune the WOT table under boost and transfer what I need there over to the PT tables. As well as pull a little timing in the areas where under boost/higher load.

Exhaust is done....

exhaust1.JPG

exhaust2.JPG

Car is running and driving so now I will swap in the bigger injectors and start to tune it

Where did you plug the oil feed lines into the motor?

Now that my M42 swap is done.... i still feel that need for a project. haha.

There is a oil connection at the back of the head. m12x1.25 to AN3 fitting did the trick. need a manifold?

This project got put on hold as I was working on my own e28 (needed for the new baby). Anyway..its "done" for the most part now so I am back to the turbo m42 car again.

I was having trouble with the tune a bit and a hot start issue so I changed the way the AFM is metering the air. Before I had it as a blow through. I changed around the charge piping and now it is setup as a draw through and using a bosch by pass valve instead of a blow off valve.

Going to do some driving in the AM when it is a bit cooler outside. 91 out right now is not very fun....

A few pictures.

IMAGE_1DBBD521-157D-499F-A607-CABA736F30CD.JPG

IMAGE_0CE10231-7392-492B-9FEF-89C1648BE648.JPG

You can sorta see the bpv here...

IMAGE_75BC17EB-C108-4F2C-9A70-D4934925E566.JPG

Tune is getting closer...got into boost a handful of times and at only 6psi it is FUN. I am going to push it closer to 10psi when all said and done.

Still having a hot start issue...it happens when the car is fully warm. Shut the car off and it will not restart right away. I swapped in the stock injectors and tune today and it ran fine and restarted when hot. I am thinking the injectors might be leaking a bit. Sending them off tomorrow to be cleaned, balanced, etc.

Hot start issue is fixed!! The problem was with the tune it self and dumping too much fuel in when starting. All is well now.

It is good fun.

Well it is going to go back to andy soon..day or two. Just drove it around a little bit and tweeked the tune a bit more. wow it is quick!!

Car left today.....it's been with me awhile and I'll miss her.

A couple videos...the video really doesn't do it justice. It is QUICK!

and