• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

When I bought my engine from Pete McHenry, he supplied a set of installation instructions, which included the electrical connections to mate the S14 with the 2002 wiring harness. My copy is 15 years old, and I'm afraid a little worse for wear, but I scanned my copy and will make it available here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2328398/2002/M2_Conversion_small.pdf

Ian

'76 M2

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

from lee's thread on his build here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,308272/postdays,0/postorder,asc/topic_view,/start,0/

I will not cut the injection harness at all, except for removing the evaporative surge valve wiring and relay. The interface between the 2002 and the S14 harness will all happen at the C101 connector. I had a spare male connector (chassis side) and will make new pins for the chassis contacts. Shall be very simple and clean.

So far, here's how it goes. Hopefully I am not wrong, but will spend more time confirming this info(did that during the night).

In bold: connections needed

01 - To alternator dash light - Cluster

02 - OBC - Oil static. Not needed.

03 - No pin

04 - To coolant temp gauge - Cluster

05 - To oil pressure light - Cluster

06 - From fuse. Evaporative purge valve relay. Not needed.

07 - To ignition switch - RUN position

08 - To Gauge. Fuel economy. Not needed.

09 - To Tachometer - Cluster

10 - OBC - Oil dynamic. Not needed.

11 - Service interval module in cluster

12 - No pin

13 - To 7.5A fuse - To Fuel pumps

14 - No pin

15 - To ignition switch - START position

16 - Not used - SRS connector.

17 - No pin

18 - To ignition switch - START position

19 - To oil temp gauge - Cluster

20 - No pin

2xM3

Marshall,

Who's welding that piece together for ya? The build is coming along nicely and that carbon air box looks beautiful!!!! I recently received my turbo and all the bits that go with that. I should have the 666 Manifold here in a few weeks. I'm about to enter our Christmas leave period and I may be getting another 02. Its been sitting for a while but the lady offed it to me to fix and drive and then eventually sell back to her for what it takes me to get back on the road. I'm excited!!! So let me know if you need any help or need that manifold welded up.

Oh and whats up with selling the race car? You going to run the M2 when its done?

Chris

i was hoping to find a Navy guy to weld that up....;-)

will also have an alum upper oil pan to weld once i get the lower part and make the cuts. you available late xmas break?

not going to get much racing in next summer with new job, so decided car would be wasted unless i transferred it to somoeone else. friend is picking it up. M2 will see more duty as my instructor car at track schools.

other racing options are being considered, however....;-)

PS - progress you are making on your project is impressive. amazed you are finding the time to do that with your NA sked!

2xM3

You are too quick..

Marshall,

Who's welding that piece together for ya? So let me know if you need any help or need that manifold welded up.

Chris

Taking over for Marshall ;-)

Water pipe needs welding - maybe subframe motor mount reinforcement at the same time??

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I will have to check the schedule of the shop down stairs but it should not be a problem at all. May be around the 2nd week of January that the shop opens back up but I'm sure I can talk to the guys and get in there to do that for ya during the break.

Sorry to hear about the car but I's sure that the M2 will be more than enough fun.

Yea I only get out there on Saturdays to work on my car but I have been slowly chipping away at it. My goal is to have it a rolling shell with the entire under body done and coated by the end of my break. Lots of 6am mornings are coming along with frostbite probably.

Im ordering the radiator and intercooler in the next few days so that I can mock them up too while on break. Hope they all get here in time. If not ohhh well, it will happen.

Chris

I took thus/fri off from work so I could get some progress on the M2, but…multiple office holiday parties, 10hrs of yard work involving cutting down trees, hauling branches and raking and an SCCA Board of Directors meeting absorbed the last three days. Some progress was made though…

First off..be very careful who you loan stuff to. Geez, I loaned Grice a 3.91 LSD in typical “been in car at least 10 years and is all dirty and rusty” condition, and when I got it back it looked like this. The audacity! :-)

DSCN4355.jpg

DSCN4353.jpg

Thanks Grice!

And some parts arrived..

One of Lee’s S14 throttle brackets, courtesy of Steve.

DSCN4351.jpg

The body side C101 connector that I will graft to the 2002 wiring to make the S14 ECU harness “plug” into the car.

DSCN4352.jpg

And of course the weekly box from Steve full of various gaskets, nuts, seals and hoses!

I had to do at least one project before leaving for the Board meeting, so I removed the DCOE choke cable from the car and moved the manual elec fan switch to the hole it left in the steering column.

DSCN4359.jpg

Then i loaded up the M10 and parts into the truck...ready for deliver to JB Friday.

2xM3

Silly me, I didn’t realize a key part for S14’s was NLA…

For those who are doing this swap, be aware that the proper throttle body “isolators” are NLA for the normal 2.3L with 46mm TB’s. only part available from BMW is the one for the EVO TB’s. these have a bigger opening and do not port match with either the 46mm TB’s nor the head.

DSCN4365.jpg

DSCN4363.jpg

DSCN4360.jpg

While the EVO parts will “work”, the isolator is significant part of the intake track after the injectors. This can’t be as efficient as the smooth transition of the proper isolators. I may put my old ones back on….

2xM3

NLFA for the isolators you need? Those turds. Have you checked for the corresponding s38 part, Marshall? I suppose you could just re-use your isolators and just buy new gaskets.

http://www.e30m3project.com/e30m3performance/installs/installs-1/m5_tb-gaskets/index.htm

mike

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

Sigh…my race car has moved on to new owner. As has the M10 from my 75. In a cold snowy exchange in Winchester, Va. Two trucks, 7 guys, a girl and a trailer met up at a nursery and moved the engine from one truck to the other, then unloaded the E36, wheels, spares and logbooks into a shop full of E30’s.

Engine in JB’s truck and covered for trip.

MarshallcarexchangeDec2010001.jpg

Passing paper for engine

MarshallcarexchangeDec2010016.jpg

Ready to unload

MarshallcarexchangeDec2010005.jpg

MarshallcarexchangeDec2010010.jpg

Unloading tires

MarshallcarexchangeDec2010007.jpg

Unloading parts

MarshallcarexchangeDec2010003.jpg

Rolling out

MarshallcarexchangeDec2010017.jpg

Backing into shop

MarshallcarexchangeDec2010023.jpg

New home

MarshallcarexchangeDec2010026.jpg

And then we oogled a neat 73 MGB. Supposedly was a race car, but was returned to street form

MarshallcarexchangeDec2010030.jpg

MarshallcarexchangeDec2010034.jpg

Now I gotta focus on this S14, as I have no other engine to put in the 75! I also have an empty trailer to store things in..

2xM3