• ClayW
      Windshield Seals
      Front - p/n 51317440154
      Rear - p/n 51311817764
      2 X Lockstrips - p/n 51311803265
      2 X Lockstrip Cup p/n 51317440106

      Clear Silicone Caulk
      Spray Bottle of Soapy Water
      25 ft. of 3/16” Cotton Rope
      Masking Tape

      Caulk Gun
      Small Flathead Screwdriver
      Lockstrip Tool (I used this one from Aegis Tools.) Apparently, AEGIS Tools no longer sells the roller lockstrip tool. You can get it here now: https://www.hitechglazing.com/product/2781009/40273

      *The installation steps are identical for both windshields.*

      1. Lay the windshield down and slip the seal over the edges.

      2. Wrap the rope twice around the seal, pushing it into the slot. Tape the ends against the inside of the glass.

      3. Spray the seal edges to soak the rope with soapy water.

      4. Lift the windshield and seal into the opening, being careful not to allow the seal to come out.

      5. With one person applying pressure from the outside, pull the rope from the inside, being careful not to pull any of the headliner with it.

      6. Once the rope has been entirely pulled and the seal is in, use the caulking gun to run a small bead of clear caulk inside the inside and outside edges of the seal.

      7. Once the caulking is in, use the lockstrip tool to install the lockstrip. This is a bit of a challenge and requires a little skill. Go slow and be careful. If you have a small section (1” or less) that pops out of the seal, use the small flathead screwdriver to pop it back in.

      8. Trim the lockstrip after installation to fit with as small a gap as possible.

      9. Slip the lockstrip cup over one end of the lockstrip and use the screwdrivers to pop it in, using the soapy water to help with lubrication.

      You’re done!

      Screw in your visors and handles and pat yourself on the back.

      This post has been promoted to an article
    • Headliner Installation

      By ClayW, in Body and Interior,

    • BMW S2002

      By S2002, in Technical Articles,

    • How to fix your broken heater fan cage ribs

      By Pramono, in Body and Interior,

    • At The Vintage:An Amazing Weekend!

      By steve k., in Events,

  • Latests Photos

  • Recent Blogs

    1. The day I bought the car, the pedals looked like this:


      Dear God YUCK!

      Also, the clutch cylinder is broke.  

      Anyway, that pile of excrement simply can not exist in MY very fancy automobile.  So, after considerable cussing and sweating, out it came.

      The next day there was a hurricane.  So I drove a few hundred miles home instead of attempting to work on my car.  But I brought the cluster with me.  Yay!  Mini-project!


      So, first I took everything apart and blasted away the rust, paint, tar, and my tears.


      The fresh parts went right off to New Life Powder Coating right here in York PA.  I've worked with these guys for the past couple years and they do excellent work.And they have an oven that is big enough to PC entire cars, truck frames, whatever.  Very good people.


      And a week later got these back:



      I gave Ireland Engineering a few weeks worth of beer money and they sent me their full bearing pedal rebuild kit.  And - wow.  Its amazing!


      There was some fitting I needed to do.  The inside of the pedal bores were coated, so I needed to polish down the IE aluminum bushings.  Easy as pie.  Stuck them on my lathe, little oil and 320 grit sand paper and we were good to go.  They have almost zero play in them, and actuate so smoothly!  Highly recommended.

    2. RSG1211
      Latest Entry

      Well, it is completed. At least enough to post a "final" pic. There are odds and ends that need to be done, but its on the road!

      bmw 2002 1.JPG

      • 1
      • 0
      • 43

      Recent Entries


      IMG_1002-copy.jpgEver since I was a kid, I've always wanted to own a classic car.  I just never had enough money to buy one.  I always thought I would get a muscle car because my dad was always working on restoring his AMX when I was a kid.  I always liked the 2002's but It wasn't until I became an adult that I realized I wanted to restore a classic bimmer.  While my dad was a muscle car guy, he also owned a number of bmw's through the 80's and 90's like a 320i, and a 528i.  I learned to drive stick in the 528i in the early 2000's and while I hated the look of it when I was a teenager with it's faded rust colored paint, it was the funnest car I've ever driven.


      IMG_2077-copy.jpgIMG_21112.jpgI had been looking for a 2002 for quite some time here in AZ but it was slim pickings,  lots of deals fell through.  My dad calls me one day from New Mexico and says he found a 2002 in the back of a guys shop.  He said it needs a lot of work and it doesn't run but its complete and cheap.  I bought the 1976 2002 for $700. The body looked solid but as I tore it apart, I found a lot of rust and a lot of bondo.  Everything rubber needs to be replaced.  This is a big task and I'm working on a graphic designers budget.  I've had the car for 6 months now and have fixed a whole lot of things on my own with very little experience and help from my dad over the phone and the bmw2002faq community.   I hope to write some more blogs about my experience restoring my car on a budget.  Here's a few pics of the car and some old school pics of the cars my family owned in the 80's.  Oh yeah,  And the reason I call the car Rusty Bob is because I love Bob Marley and know that he owned a 2002 and that was another reason I decided to get a 2002.  Cheers. 


      Work completed:

      Got it running

      Welded new floorboards

      fixed wiring issues

      New shocks and springs

      Rebuilt shifter

      Rebuilt carb

      New plugs

      New battery and cables

      Fixed gauge cluster

      New wheels and tires

      Pulled emissions wires

      New pedal box

      New clutch MC